• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Hack'n Tap SYE kit....good idea?

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I've got a 99 classic with the RE BB and have noticed slight vibrations at 55-60mph. I've heard this is pretty common on the late models even with a slight lift like mine. I am planning on moving up to the RE 3.5 super ride (spring packs) soon but it seems that overwhelming advice from this forum is for me to go with a SYE and driveshaft first. I've been doing as much research as possible about this and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. Is the RE Hack and Tap kit a good way to go? Or is this just a cheaper quicker fix? Has anyone used this kit? Are there any downsides to it? Are there better kits out there that you would recommend over this kit?
Any advice and/or cirticisms would be appreciated.
thanks,
dave

i've got a 99 with 3" lift, no sye or vibes. but will be going bigger before too long. would let me know how this works out
thanks

I have 99 that had 3.5" very little vibe. now at 4.5" and vibe is getting worse. I have read alot of threads on Hack-n-tap and I have not read anything bad. Go to Yucca-man's site he has a full write up on the install.

http//www.yucaman.com
Joe

99greenjeeper said:
Hi all,
I've got a 99 classic with the RE BB and have noticed slight vibrations at 55-60mph. I've heard this is pretty common on the late models even with a slight lift like mine. I am planning on moving up to the RE 3.5 super ride (spring packs) soon but it seems that overwhelming advice from this forum is for me to go with a SYE and driveshaft first. I've been doing as much research as possible about this and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. Is the RE Hack and Tap kit a good way to go? Or is this just a cheaper quicker fix? Has anyone used this kit? Are there any downsides to it? Are there better kits out there that you would recommend over this kit?
Any advice and/or cirticisms would be appreciated.
thanks,
dave

I would just drop the t-case 1", or add some 2.5 degree shims for now and then get the RE SYE setup after the lift is installed.
That way, you get a driveshaft that is the correct length for your new ride height.
I have had the RE SYE for 2 years now and I am not gentle with it.
HTH

i run tom woods sye and shaft...
his is basically the stock tailshaft that has been shortend, resplined, drilled and tapped... but that saved me from messing up my shaft...
he has deals on buying a sye and new diveshaft too...

both my daughters have the RE 3.5 superflex kit with NO SYE or hack-n-tap. We have wheeled Moab and Tellico without any problems. The '97 has no vibrations due to the HP front D30 and the '01 has some because of the LP Dana30 they went to in 2000. It isn't bad. I'd do the lift first and worry about the vibes later.

The Hack and tap SYE works just fine....if you need it. I did...
They are easy to install and don't take much skill....just read your instructions and pay close attention to detail...no problem.
But if you plan on a bigger lift...lift first...measure for new shaft (after installing SYE) and go from there. I got my shaft four days after I ordered it. So plan for some down time.
Rick

yuccaman.....how long did it take you to do your hack and tap? I'm really uneasy about sawing and stuff on everything underneath my xj, so i'm sure i'm going to enlist my fathers (or one of the guys from the NW chapter) to help me do this. I've got the RE 3.5 superflex kit. I've thought about going with tom woods, but i'm not sure yet. Guess i'll have to look more into it before i decide anything.

Kris

ladywolf said:
yuccaman.....how long did it take you to do your hack and tap? I'm really uneasy about sawing and stuff on everything underneath my xj, so i'm sure i'm going to enlist my fathers (or one of the guys from the NW chapter) to help me do this. I've got the RE 3.5 superflex kit. I've thought about going with tom woods, but i'm not sure yet. Guess i'll have to look more into it before i decide anything.

Kris

I just did mine this past weekend and it took about 4 hours. That includes the time to go get a new tap handle cuz the one I had was too small. Everyone raved about the h&t, so I went with it and saved the $. Went with a High Angle Driveline driveshaft and love it. It is pretty bombproof. Way beefier than anything that I will need, but only about $30 more than a RE or TW shaft.

Kris - I think we (aka me) were under the XJ for less than an hour total. Turns out it's one of the easier mods I've done and I like the results.

Jim

Jim,
thanks for the info. As soon as I get home from the desert, and get my cherokee back stateside, its going under the knife, so to speak. getting the lift, SYE, and prolly some new wheels and tires if i can afford it, and I havent bought my CJ before then. Hope to see you guys out on the trail.

Kris

If you have a 242 transfer case then you are kind of stuck with the hack and tap...I run it with about 6" of lift and have had no problems with it. Nice thing is....cheaper than a complete SYE...

mike

I believe that I've got the 231 in mine. So I might just luck out, but I need to look at everything again. Its been a year since I've seen my jeep:(( Not a good thing. So I know the instant I get back I'm going to have to charge it, probably air up all the tires, get new ones ASAP, change the oil, all the fluids, diffs, tranny, everything. that poor cherokee of mine is getting a full workup. I hope 8mud is up to some weekend wrenching:D I think I might ask for some help with the diffs and tranny, never done them before.

Kris

Yea, if you have the 231 you will be fine with a complete replacement. Oh and BTW I just want you to know that I truly appreciate what you guys, and gals of course are doing overseas. I have some of my best friends over there as well and am avidly looking forward to the day when you all come home. And if you are ever in AZ look me up and I will buy you a beer! Thanks again. :cheers:

Mike

Monkeys, i will definitely keep it in mind. where over here are your buddies? Ya never know, I may have passed them headin one way or another!

Here's my experience with the hackntap. I used to be a big proponent of it even after my experience. Now I not so sure.

I used this write-up as a reference, http://www.dpgoffroad.com/rubiconsye.htm , and started with a 1/16th bit for the pilot whole. That was my first mistake. I got about 1" in and it broke off inside the shaft. Subsequent tries to drill it out only hardened everything in place. EVerything else seemed to go pretty well, but I couldn't get the flange to go on the shaft either. I finally gave up and took it to a machine shop that nearly couldn't get the bit out either. They had to drill out the center of a larger drill bit, then core around the stuck one. They spent 4 hours but only charged me $190 (should have been over $400). So for about the price of a HD SYE I had the hackntap. Great, Its proven plenty strong I figured.

Well, here's why I don't think I would do it again. A) I would probably screw something up again. I'm not really patient and I aparently can't drill straight or level. B) the flange has started coming loose and I think it is starting to cause some vibrations, because I can't find any other source for them. C) my front and rear drive shafts aren't interchangeable in an emergency. Not a big one, but it would be a nice back-up.

YMMV

One that I know of is in Najaf...he is in Army artillery...hopefully they will send him home in august. And to keep this tech...either way you decide to do your SYE will work out...the hack and tap is definatelt cheaper ($80) i think compared to the complete kit which goes for around $275 roughly I think...

Mike

Back