• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires, Again

Go Go

NAXJA Forum User
I know this subject is covered frequently but I'm approaching from a different angle. I need to get new tires soon. I'm currently running 30X9.5 R15 BFG AT KO's. I like them. I plan to get the same style new one's but here's the catch: I want to get a 3 inch lift, but I don't know if I can afford a 3 inch lift before I get new tires. Should I get 31s before the lift and deal with the rubbing or get 30's and then wait another few years until I need new tires to go up in size? Does a cherokee with a 3 inch lift look funny with 30X9.5s? If anyone has any photo examples I think it would help my decision. Thanks.

That is how I started off. 30x9.5 with a 3" superlift back in 97'. I dont' have any pics but it looked fine. I ran it that way for about 2 years until the tires were shot. Than upgraded to 31x10.5's. You have to start someplace. Not everyone can afford 35" and 8" long arm lifts out of the gate. Juice

i think you will be fine with 30's and a 3" lift. i have 31" procomps that run small(30.2) and it looks good. 30's also wont affect your performance and gas mileage as much as 31's

I asked this somewhere else but never got a reply.

My new-to-me '96 had almost new (5K mi.) Michelin XCX APT 30X9.5 tires when I bought it. The man said he put them on because wider tires are safer on wet/snowy roads. If that's true I will gladly put up w/the slight rubbing in sharp turns & reduced mpg. because we have lots of snow here & Maine & I've had 3 serious accidents on ice (2) & fresh deep snow (1).

If it is not true--& I know lots of people think narrower tires are safer in certain wet/snowy conditions, I'll replace them w/stock tires as soon as I can afford to or at least when they wear out. (Which might be a while: I understand they are very durable.) I do love the way they look & I don't notice any appreciable noisiness.

What is it you like about them, Go Go? Have you run stock tires on your XJ?

you can but trimming is a must

Run the 30x9.50's for a while. I just lifted my wife's XJ 3" and put on 30x9.50's rather than 31's. I looks great, but not as obviously modified. I choose the 9.50's to keep the tires a little narrower for wet/snow handling and drivability with the stock gears. The XJ looks like what Jeep should have offered from the factory vs a low rider rear-end dragging grocery getter!

Scott

I've got the 30x9.5's in Bridgestone Dueler MT's with a 3" and they look good. Also, you should look at the Bridgestones. The price was cheaper than the BFG's and from what I have read and have experienced the 'Stones are quieter and wear well. Just my .02

Go Go said:
I know this subject is covered frequently but I'm approaching from a different angle. I need to get new tires soon. I'm currently running 30X9.5 R15 BFG AT KO's. I like them. I plan to get the same style new one's but here's the catch: I want to get a 3 inch lift, but I don't know if I can afford a 3 inch lift before I get new tires. Should I get 31s before the lift and deal with the rubbing or get 30's and then wait another few years until I need new tires to go up in size? Does a cherokee with a 3 inch lift look funny with 30X9.5s? If anyone has any photo examples I think it would help my decision. Thanks.

I've been running those same tires on a 3 inch lift for almost three years now. Looks fine to me.

30's really fit stock. the wifes truck has 30's and they look HUGE compared to my stock 225/70-15's.

my plan is to go 30's w/a BB. then upgrade to the good stuff next year or so.
i'll be gettin MT/R's to at least have a little fun now.

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll stay with the 30x9.5s until after I get a lift and then when they wear out go bigger. This brings up another question and probably deserves it's own thread:

What do you do with your old suspension when you get a lift? Can I sell it? I know people will buy anything on ebay.

I plan to go up approx 3" on my daily-driver 89 4-door. (I say approx since I dunno what sort of boost the 2 yr old lift coils will net, once bumpers & armor gets added)

Plan A is to retain one set of the stock 15x7 / 5.25" BS factory wheels - I have several sets to pick from- and mount 30x9.50 (probably BFG again) Or Plan B is to get new alloys, probably 15x8 / 4.5" BS, and run 31x10.50. I don't want to trim much on this rig... The 31" will likely be better on the trail (ground clearance & traction) and look tougher, but the 30" will likely be better on the road - where this XJ has spent 100% of it's life so far. Being undergeared won't be a concern for me once this project comes together... But IMHO retaining the stock 3.55, or worse, 3.07 would be a total bore.
Either plan will make it a bunch more capable that the P225/75 street radials that are on there now.

If I had to keep stock gears in the axles, I'd narrow my search to 30x9.5 or 235/75

Back