• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need your opinion

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
recently i bougth a cherokee 4x4 90 limited for a very low price, i planed to lifted and put a set of tires, but the bad thing is rusted really bad from the suspension and sounds like something is loose from it i have a friend that he have a car wash over in mexico and he told me that they can wash de underbody and suspension with presure diesel and stop the rust and spray it whit some stuff like oil or something, i just want your opinion about should i sell it and buy another one or keep my project whit this one it looks like the last owner used on ice and thats the reason why is rusted

Hot oil undercoating is fine if you do it before the rust sets in. If it's already very rusty, it will not do much good. It won't noticeably slow down the growth of the old rust, and of course (well, I guess you guessed this already) it won't fix the rust that's there.

Before you go much further, you need to get underneath that Jeep and really look it over. If it's just a lot of floor and body rust, you can patch it and go for a long time, especially if you're now out of the rust belt. But if there's already structural damage, for example, around the front mounts of the rear leaf springs, I'd disqualify it for any major mods or input of money.

There are a huge number of problems that can cause it to clunk and rattle as if there's a loose part in the suspension, but many of them are pretty harmless or easy to fix. So before making a final judgment, you really need to get down and look it over closely, or have someone experienced look it over.

Concuerdo con Matthew. Alguna oxidación en la superficie de los componentes de la suspensión no es un problema, pero los entrepaños del piso y del cuerpo son muy delgados y el uso de aceite caliente no proporcionará mucha ayuda si el metal delgado se ha oxidado ya.

La oxidación no debe causar que ninguna parte de la suspensión llegue a ser flojo. Pienso es importante que usted inspeccione detenidamente y encuentre el problema antes usted decide si usted gastará más dinero en este vehículo.

--------------------------------------------

I agree with Matthew. Some rust on the surface of the components of the suspension is not a problem, but the panels of the floor and the body are very thin and the use of hot oil will not provide much help if the thin metal has rusted already.

Rust should not cause any part of the suspension to become loose. I think it is important that you inspect carefully and find the problem before you decide if you will spend more money on this vehicle.

Back