• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

URF spy pics: CRASH's 3 link

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
I spent saturday hanging with Andy and gearing my front D44 (with an ARB, woohoo!) and snapped some spy pictures of his front 3 link. I can't believe he managed to fit it all in and that the d-shaft doesn't hit any links through all the travel. It looks great, beefy, crossmember flush flat with the framerails, solid mounts. It's defintely going to be ready for some lake-bed running, especially when he gets that stroker in. these are of course spy pics, so things aren't completed, but it's getting there

(thanks Billy for the picture hosting, your website is awesome, www.XJDB.com)

crash_1.sized.jpg

crash_2.sized.jpg

Crossmember, and a rib that rides across the top of the tunnel sheetmetal.

Gary, you're going to be jealous of the totally redesigned 8.8 super-turd.

CRASH

Yeah, I'll snap some this weekend, I need to finish the front and rear bumpers this weekend.

I've got 4 days this weekend to build a motor, install it, finish two bumpers, make a trans mount, a t-case shifter, install a fuel tank, and build front shock mounts.

Should be a pretty laid back weekend at URF, don't you think? :rolleyes:

CRASH

After taking a gander at my own rig, this does not seem like it would be very doable with the shifters for an AW4 and 231 tranny in their stock position. I'm guessing the room is quite different with the NV4500 tranny. Andy does still run a 231 transfer case though, right? If so, is he using a different shifting arrangement than stock? I know, who wants to answer a million questions? More pics and more detailed pics would be nice. :) Jeff

The NV simultaneously solves and creates problems. There is about 3 inches of room for a UCA mount and UCA between the trans case and the CV joint. The shifters have to be totally reconstructed. The shift tab on the 231 has been cut and rotated so that it instead of dangling down, it is now articulates above the pivot. The shifter is attached to the UCA mount, and it is totally custom.

The shifter ends up about 3 inches farther back in the console than stock, but since my console has to be custom to clear the NV anyway (BIG hole inthe floor), it's of no consequence to me. The shifter now works backwards, though. Low range is all the way forward, 2 hi is all the way back.

PIcs are coming soon, they are locked up in a disposable camera with 10 pics left, which I should go through this weekend while assembling the stroker! :D

CRASH

CRASH's 3 link...more pics promised?????

Crash. I like how you have your links up high. You said you were going to post more pics. I looked but didn't see anything. Did I miss them?

:yawn: Someone said something about a 3link?

-jb

I admire the creativity involved, but....what was wrong the the four link design? Seems to me that people are running out ways to make their XJ unique, but are just doing stupid things to achieve originality. Just my .02

PC-UT-XJ said:
I admire the creativity involved, but....what was wrong the the four link design? Seems to me that people are running out ways to make their XJ unique, but are just doing stupid things to achieve originality. Just my .02

I think people are running out of thoughts to post good stuff, and post stupid crap. Read up on stuff and learn a bit, and you'll understand a 3 link.

Actually I kind of agree with PC UT XJ. It's not so much that I don't think the factory 4link has some problems at higher lifts, but what I would like to know is Andys reasons for choosing the path he did choose. He had been running a radius arm setup with the frame mounts tucked up good. He lost one link to free up articulation with less bind in the bushings, but why did he change to two full links on one side and one link on the other? Why not go with a radius arm on one side and a single link on the other? What are the advantages of Andys new suspension over that? Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Actually I kind of agree with PC UT XJ. It's not so much that I don't think the factory 4link has some problems at higher lifts, but what I would like to know is Andys reasons for choosing the path he did choose. He had been running a radius arm setup with the frame mounts tucked up good. He lost one link to free up articulation with less bind in the bushings, but why did he change to two full links on one side and one link on the other? Why not go with a radius arm on one side and a single link on the other? What are the advantages of Andys new suspension over that? Jeff

I can't say what CRASH's motivation was, but what's wrong with being creative, trying new things, and taking the path less traveled? :confused:
Billy

Ok, one thing is adjustability, this is the type of front suspension I'm planning on beginning at some point this summer and that's my main reason.

Radius arms are radius arms. Whatever you do you'll get the same values as far as squat, dive etc. They are simple, and they do work well, minus the ridiculous unloading.

With the seperate upper link, it acts just like a true 4 link...with less bind. Plus you can dial in anti-dive and roll center characteristics unlike a radius arm style. It's a little more work (paper work, and fab work) for a little extra benefit. Even though I haven't gone in depth about suspension design yet, the ability to fine tune a suspension is great and well worth the extra time. _nicko_

Jeff 98XJ WI said:

CRASH just wants to be more like me and Hinkley................and take less of our sh!t.

:D :D

I really like Andy's design, it's not easy to fit everything in like he did. I hope he left enough clearance for really stuffing it on rebound when he's in the air. :)

I guess I'm kinda out of place to question the validity of spending more money to improve a system that already worked just fine. You see, for me, I like to get it right the first time. For example, I just bought a lot of axle upgrades and even a brand new 44. And that's it. I'm not about to go buy a Dana 60 because I can get a great deal on it. I'm drawing the line; both with my car and with my money. Some of you obviously have bigger plans for his XJ than I do. It looks like you want an unstoppable rockkrawler (I'm assuming for the sake of my argument, I've never seen your rigs). Then why didn't you just buy a Bruiser or a Sniper? And don't say it's because you like all of that cargo room or enjoy that climate controlled cabin.

Personally, I built mine just for people like you PC-UT-XJ. :)

It's not valid, it's hardly streetable, it's big, it's ugly, it climbs more like a gorilla than a goat, and it's something that a sensible person (like yourself) would never build.

It'll do all the gnarly rock trails that you read about in the magazines collecting body damage & stories along the way.

-jb

Back