• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backlash???

Casper

NAXJA Forum User
I was not sure if this post was to be written on the OEM Tech forum or the Modified forum, so I posted it here. How critical is backlash? I recently replaced my diff pinion seal and while I was there I decided to do a visual inspection of my ring and pinion and lockrite for any damage. I used some gear marking compound to check the meshing pattern, and using the specs on Randy's Ring and Pinion my pattern was good. But I checked my backlash as well and my reading was 0.020, and according to the specs on Randy's Ring and Pinion I should have between 0.006 and 0.010. on my D35 with 3.55 gears. I do not have any experience with setting up gears etc., and would like to know if having my backlash at 0.020 is asking for problems? I have a lockrite as well and it is working great, but because the lockrite also adds to the larger backlash feeling and with the current backlash of 0.020 the larger backlash is very noticeable. I have been running this setup for about 6 months, and everything is working great except for the noticeable larger backlash. Of course the best thing to do would be to reset my ring and pinion to the correct specs, but we have a "four club" combined three day event coming up in a few days and I do not have the free time to reset my Ring and pinion, and I really want to go to this event. Would I be safe to run the trails with my present setup?? Again, I have my wear pattern correct according to the specs given on Randy's Ring and Pinion website, and other than the noticeable larger backlash, everything is running without fail and has been for 6 months since this setup. Any help that you all can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Casper

P.S. BTW, I will be setting my tolerances to the correct specs ASAP, I just cannot get it done before the up coming event.

Back