• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Thread

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
This is to discuss the in's and outs of exhaust.

I'm looking for a FULL exhaust system.

What I'm looking for is not TOO loud, but i DEFINITELY wanna be heard when I'm gettin' on it! A nice low rumble would be nice at idle. I know I'm probably asking too much, lol.

What Header/Cat/Exhaust combo do you guys recommend? Factory "header" hi flo cat, and catback exhaust? What?

Also, Where's the best place online to shop for exhaust?!

Thx in advance guys :)

If I was going all out this is what I would run:
Mopar Header - Jet Coated
Full stainless 2.5" exhaust pipe
Dynomax Turbo Exhuast
and either weld together or use some of those fancy exhaust clamps that they have for hot rods, ect.

Maybe it's because I live in arid Colorado, but what's the benefit of a stainless exhaust pipe?

nothing except it doesn't look like crap in 6 months, stays nice and pretty if you use the correct grade. The cheap stainless will end up just like a normal pipe.

As for links, I would just check around at Jegs or Summit racing as they usually carry lots fo this stuff.

Well, "nice and pretty" isn't worth spending the additional for in my limited checkbook - nobody except me looks under there anyhow. Thanks for 'splainin

Jim

It also might handle heat better is applications such as headers, ect. I still don't know if I will run stainless or not but it seems like every year I have to replace the exhaust pipe cause the old stuff is falling apart.

Well, it depends on how much you have to spend. If I had the money, I'd replace everything from the header back including the exhaust pipe that runs from the header to the catalytic converter to get rid of that stupid crimp in the pipe that restricts exhaust flow. Like stated previously, Dynomax makes a good exhaust for the 4.0l. I prefer the ultraflow to the super turbo due to its straight through exhaust flow, but its a personal preference. It is a little louder than the super turbo. I went with Flowmaster becuase I've had good luck with them in the past and they are very well built and can take some pretty hard hits without collapsing. I did however go with the 50 series Delta Flow instead of the 40 series based on everyone's advise on here. It sounds great and is not too loud, but you can definitely hear it when you get on it. It has a nice low rumble at idle too. I rode in a friend of mine's Jeep the other day and his 40 series is waaay too loud on the hwy so I'm really happy with my choice. Oh yeah, my exhaust was shot from the cat back so I replaced the cat with a universal hi flow cat (I don't remember what brand) and used 2.25" alumininized pipe. I had it all done at a local shop for a little over $300.

If you want something with a good sound, and quite cheap, get a high-flow cat and go straight pipe from there. Not very loud, good rumble. I love it, and I have about $50 and less than an hour of labor in it =P

Anybody else running a hi-flow cat and straight pipe? I'd like to hear from more people with this because I'll be doing my cat and everything behind it soon, and my priorities are cheap, small, and not too loud in that order.

Hi-flow cat and 2.5" straight pipe from the cat back here! I love it. It's got a nice rumble at idle, and is defnitly audible at high RPM's. My buddies say it sounds great from outside when i'm on it in the mud. I am not too worried about the sound though. I've got 33 mud terrains, straight pipe and 500 watts of stereo. So, i can't hear much anyways. :guitar:
But, i suggest hi-flow cat and straight pipe. Best bang for the buck.

Tylor

I don't know how running a straight pipe could not be loud. If you do a search you will see tons of people on here who have run Flowmaster 40 series' and pulled them becuase they were too loud and got annoying after a little while. I think its a matter of personal preference. What one person thinks is too loud, another thinks sounds great.

The cat is basicaly a glaspack by itself.

I am running no cat, Flowtech afterburner, walker stock replacement tailpipe. Got about $50 in it. Doesn't sound to bad, almost alittle ricey when I furst put it on but it toned down some now.

I don't understand why so many people think that a catalytic converter is a bad thing. You need a certain amount of back pressure to produce torque and by removing the catalytic converter you may gain a few hp, but its not worth the torque loss. Also, I'm not a crazy tree hugger or anything, but I do care about the environment and by removing the catalytic converter you are unneccessarily polluting the air. I won't go into the details because I don't want to start a debate. Also, something that more people on this board may relate to is that many environmental organizations read stuff like this post and use it as ammunition against 4wheelers to close more trails.

I run the Borla header, high flow cat, and Borla after cat. Sounds good, its not too loud, but has a great rumble when under load. The header definately increased under-hood heat, to combat this I added a manual fan switch to turn on the elec fan when the engine starts getting too warm. The benefits of a stainless exhaust is the longevity of the pipe itself. Here in Grand Junction they use magnesium chloride to melt the roads after it snows, which will destroy any galvanized or aluminized pipe.

Atl XJ said:
I don't know how running a straight pipe could not be loud.
With the stock cat and stock-size pipe and no muffler, it is surprisingly quiet. A little bit of low-rpm rumble and a bit louder at higher rpms, but actually not as loud as most aftermarket mufflers. The Flowmaster makes much more noise.

Really? I just don't understand how no muffler could be quieter than a muffler no matter what the design. :dunno: Could someone please explain this to me.

It's probably the same as blowing through a tube with compressed air. Dosent really make sound.

Now, add a 'muffler' on there that redirects the airflow and you get a resonating effect which would make more sound than no muffler.

My reson for wanting rid of a cat is I have had more than one on an older exhaust fall apart internaly and cause too much back pressure.

Back