• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building Control Arms

1) measure
2) cut
3) measure
4) weld

seriously, you need to decide what type of ends you want to have on them, an RE joint on one end and rubber bushing on the other end would be my recommendation. Get the bushings with tube that they slide into, then get the tube for the arm, 1.5inch, .25 wall would be good. then weld them up. If you want them adjustable, get some high grade all-thread and coupler nuts and make them threaded.

tnxjjeeper said:
What would be involved in building control arms? My dad owns a metal fab shop, so the equipment and supplies are there. Anyone done this?

I would like to make mine but I'm still skeptical about my welding, so I have done a few more "less crucial" welds to see how they hold up. If they do I'm gonna go for it.

Stick said:
I would like to make mine but I'm still skeptical about my welding, so I have done a few more "less crucial" welds to see how they hold up. If they do I'm gonna go for it.

if you're not 100%, then don't do it! especially if it sees street time. could you imagine the lawsuit from your homemade control arm breaking and you crashing into someone? If you're doubtful but still want to save some money, tack weld them together and then bring them to a welding shop, they'd probably throw some good welds on for a 6 pack.

mad maXJ said:
if you're not 100%, then don't do it! especially if it sees street time. could you imagine the lawsuit from your homemade control arm breaking and you crashing into someone? If you're doubtful but still want to save some money, tack weld them together and then bring them to a welding shop, they'd probably throw some good welds on for a 6 pack.

Yeah, mine is a DD, and I haul a 10x7 utility trailer camping...so the pros had best do my welding

Your questions lead me to believe you would be better off buying some pre-fabbed arms. No offense intended, but you should know the answers to these questions before thoughts of fabbing ever cross your mind:

What is the rigs intended use?

What material am I using for tubing?

Rubber, poly, heim, Johnny Joiny ends?

Adjustable or fixed length?

Stock suspension design or unique design?

CRASH

Go to chassisshop.com they have a great selection of components. I use 1-1/4" x .120" chromoly tubing with their tubing adapters, then use 5/8"-18 heim joints. This works very well and as for the upper forward all you need is to bend some 3/16" flat bar to width and weld on to the end of the chromoly tubing. Total material cost for my four arms and track bar was $199 plus shipping. they work great and are very strong. Hope this helps.

Simon

Back