• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap non ho for ho

dangerossride

NAXJA Forum User
I through a rod in my 95 xj and have an 87 xj that i want to put into it... does the whole 95 engine need to be pulled and the whole 87 be put in or can i keep parts of my 95 in there and or keep the high output? what other problems do i need to watch out for and will wiring be a major issue? do i need the 87 computer or do i keep the 95?
Thanks,
Ross

Use the block from the '87 and the head and everthing else from the '95.

how long do you think it would take to swap those parts? Im not really familiar with what im doing here... whats the process of what i need to do, because i dont want to mess anything up, or where can i find more information on how to swap the head and block...? Is all the wiring harnesses and computer compatible with both parts? Im not sure but i dont think so... if i swap the head instead of putting the whole 87 engine in would that reduce problems in the process(wiring)? any other problems i will face?
thanks
Ross

Just like Kunaji said, you only want the block from the '87. Pull the head and everything above it off your '87 and remove all peripheral stuff, set it aside. Pull your '95 engine, move everything except the block to the '87 block. This will keep all your electronics from you '95 intact. This is the easiest way to do this swap and you won't have to worry about any electonic compatibility issues.
You definitely want to keep your '95 ('87 is very different) elctronics and this is the best and easiest way to do the swap without having to dive into re-wiring. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back