• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

700 R-4 trans swap

MudDawg

NAXJA Member #728
Well...tonite I started having a prob with my tranny after pulling out someone....I'm pretty sure I broke the overrunning clutch in my A-904...here is the question...I would like the advantages of installing a 700 R-4...I know one from an s-10 with a 2.8 will bolt to my 2.5...but is the torque converter compatible with the crankshaft??? has anybody done this before??? I tried a search...came up with nothing..thanks in advance.

Thanks for the links Grizzley...sorry I didn't think my post thru very well...my concern is will the nose of the converter mate with the bore in the crank...or as in the case of the stock tranny, with the bore in the flexplate...I always thought that was wierd....the flexplate can be reindexed and redrilled for the converter bolts...if the converter nose is smaller I can make a pilot bushing...I sure would like that lower 1st gear since my motor is a bit peaky..and the GM tranny can be easily dialed in...

Ya I'd like that lower first and the OD too but behind the 3.4 I'm putting in to replace my 2.8 Mine's easy, yours' you're going to have to work at I think.

I just got another 84 from Eagle and it has the 2.5 in it. I know what you mean by peaky. Seems it's only happy above 3000 rpm , but to get there takes forever, then it jumps up real fast.

mks

Good luck with the 3.4 swap...I think the only prob you will run into will be with the flexplate...the 3.4 plate is patterned for the gm tranny...I think I saw somewhere that the 2.8 plate will need to be neutral balanced to work with the 3.4...anyways..I pulled the tranny out yesterday and disassembled it...the clutch race is broken...its off to the tranny shop with measuring tools to see if i can make a swap work...the auto trans is sure helpful in the mud and a lot easier on the drivetrain. If I can make this work without a wheelbarrow full of $50's I will do a write-up on it.

MudDawg said:
If I can make this work without a wheelbarrow full of $50's I will do a write-up on it.

Thanks for the reminder but have it covered. Have to replace it anyways as the one in there has a "condition". As for yours. . .if you get it to work for decent money you have two options. First is a write up and post where we can all read about it now and use it for reference in the future for either ourselves or for a link for others looking to do the swap, or Option 2, you can spend hours answering pm's and e-mails from others that we send your way looking for the information and the you'll never have time to wheel, hahahaha :D Your choice. Seriously though, good luck and I hope you do find a way to do it.

Back