• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine removal

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I FINALLY have the money for an engine stand (I will be getting a loner picker). Gonna pick it up sometime this week (shop arounf first, hopefully pick up a used one cheap). Anyways, are there any "gotchas" I should be warned about?
My plans are to drain oil (tranny fluid too?), and rad fluid. Then remove the nose peice (for easy engine access) and unbolt her.
Anything else that I should remove before engine removal? accesories and whatnot?

My complete plans are to remove everything from the engine bay, have it cleaned and painted before reinstall. I will also be removing ALL A/C component (screw OBA). I will be relocating the Alternator to the A/C location. That's about all I can think of right now. Am I missing anything?
Can anyone tell me what is NOT necesarry for the jeep to run?

I am also planning on taking the power windows out and puttingthem into my DD and Vise Versa. IMHO, the less electrical crap in there, the less that can go wrong again.
TIA!

Easy enough. I'd keep all accessories on when you pull it except for the power steering pump which you can just unbolt and set aside. Easier to get the accessories off while it's on the stand, especially if you have air tools. Save the motor mounts to last when you can put the cherry picker on to take the weight of the engine off. You'll have to pull the engine forward a bit off the tranny with the cherry picker so make sure there is nothing that will keep the cherry picker from rolling easily, like expansion joints on your garage floor. :doh:
Good luck.

I'd take the knock sensor out too. Broke mine on a motor mount when I pulled the 4.0 out of my '90

Ecarcl

Autozone has a set of external tork sockets for $8 includes the E12. Remember the torque converter bolts also. If you remove the engine mounts from the block you can lower the motor enough (using hoist) to help get the E12 bolts. Be careful with the injector wiring harness clips.

Last edited:
Back