• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Flowmaster 50?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering a performance muffler for my 89 Sport w/aw-4. It has a stock type muffler on it now, and I don't want anything that will "drone" at highway speeds. Anyone running the Flowmaster 50, or maybe the turbo type such as Dynomax?

Any other muffler suggestions?
Thanks.

I'm in the same situtation and I started a thread about this about a week ago. Everyone seems to recommend the Dynomax super turbo and the Flowmaster 50 series deltaflow for a good sounding muffler thats not too loud for a DD. One advantage of the Flowmaster is that they are really tough and one advantage of the Dynomax is that they are cheap. It really depends on what you want.

I hope that helps.

I have the Flowmaster. I've beaten the s$%t out of the dang thing and it still looks fine.

My Jeep mech says "it's a skidplate the doubles as a muffler".

bburge

My factory muffler suffered an untimely death due to multiple impacts with rocks. I replaced it with a cherry bomb glass pack. It’s nowhere close to the same class as a flowmaster, but for $20 and less than an hours worth of work it does a good job. It tucks up into the body pretty well and I haven’t had any problems hanging it up on anything yet. The exhaust actually sounds better; deeper tone and no bee-in-a-bottle sounds.

I just removed my Flowmaster 50 series and installed an Dynomax Ultraflow. I doesn't drone at 2000 to 2100 anymore and is somewhat quieter than a Flowmaster overall (yet still lets you know it's there)! The build quality is fairly decent and should survive offroad...but it's no skidplate :rolleyes:
BLUTO :D

I like my FM 50 but after about 5 years or so, it has rusted from the inside out. I have a header and K&N and that combo with the FM sounds pretty good. I like it best just off idle. Going slowly through my parking garage at work sets off all the car alarms. :thumbup:

I have a 1990 XJ with a bone stock 4.0L. I am currently running a 2 chamber, 40 series Flowmaster (it's a V8 truck muffler) with no cat. I love the way it sounds at idle but it is a bit too loud under acceleration. After it gets up to highway speeds, it tones down to a bearable level. The sound of the mud tires roaring drowns it out I guess! I will be taking it out in favor of a full Borla exhaust system soon. Hooker 1-5/8 headers, 3" stainless pipe, 3" high flow stainless Borla Cat and a 3" in/out stainless Borla FullFlow Muffler. I will let you know how it looks, sounds and performs!

Back