• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok simple "will they fit" question:

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
2000 XJ w/ RE 3.5" w/ springpacks, 1" longer shackle, and 1" spacer up front + cut fenders = What size tires? I figure 32s, but I think 33s should fit w/ 5" and cut fenders? It would be great to run 35s like Dirk, but this lift will settle to probablly 4"-4.5" w/ my bumpers. With 32s I'd run 15x8 w/ 4.5" bs, with anything bigger (33x12.50) I will run 3.75 bs.

By trimmed fenders I mean the Jeep will have just the one little lip around the fenders, its about 2" more clearance than stock.

Last edited:
If you go with the 33" tires I would stay at the 10.5 width size and not go to 12.5 unless you want to cut more. Juice

Here's my take. I had 4.75" of lift and didn't have any trimming done. I got my wifes hand me down 33x12.5 Super swampers on 15x10's with 3.5" bs. She got 36x14.5's. I put them on with out trimming and they rubbed badly in the front fender wells both the front part and the rear when I turned. So I took them off and decided(got up the courage) to cut some.I first removed the flares. I cut the front part even with the bottom of the turn signals and matched the rear up. This was only on the front fenders, I will be doing the rear soon. Keep in mind I don't rock crawl only some muddy/sandy trails. I am glad I finally cut it though, I have been really nervous for a long time. As of now it looks great and seams as though I will have the clearance for what all I do. I had 31's prior to this. HTH and good luck...DuG

it really depends on how you quantify "trimming"

personally, I'm one to pick a tire size, pick a lift (or lack thereof) and then do body work until everything fits.

I run 36s on my XJ w/ 3" lift
I run 33's on my MJ that is stock height in the rear, and about 1" taller up front (stiffer springs)

If you REALLY want them to work, you will make them work ;)

I run 285's (33x11.5) on 16x8 rims with 4.25BS and 3.5" of lift and trimmed fenders and it works great. I trimmed the rear as far as I could leaving the pinch seam intact and then hammered them back and moved the flares up. I trimmed all the folds in the front off and moved the flares up too. I run 3" extended bumpstops (hockey pucks) in the front and so far don't rub at all and none in the rear and don't rub there either but it's very close all the way around. If the pictures don't show up try refreshing.

jeep1.JPG

jeep2.JPG

jeep5.JPG

The rear before it was trimmed with 285's:
jeep4.JPG

jeep3.JPG

I have the RE 4.5 inch and I run 32's. I have enough room to run 33's, maybe bigger. Just use a sawzall, or similar, and you can fit whatever you want.

I had RE 4.5" springs up front and ran 36x12.50 on a 15x8 rim. Can't remember the backspacing though Had to do a lot of trimming, can post pics if you want. The rear I had about 5.5" of lift and had to trim still.

Back