• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA smashed tranny lines

94DCXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today while out in the Jeep I made the mistake of going to fast over what I thought was a pile of loose dirt accross the trail. I wanted some speed because I thought I was going to sink in it but rather than sink I went right over it then came down suddenly. My buddy watching from the front said my tires came off the ground by at least half a foot. Anyway I soon smelled tranny fluid and got out and I noticed my tranny lines were crushed right above the passenger side UCA. I didn't take long for me to realize how that happend, but I was suprised that my UCA went that high because it did not feel like I hit that hard.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? Or have any advice on changing tranny lines? I have searched the forums and cannot find any info on replacing the lines and am wondering what is involved.

Thanks

It happens. Just cut the smushed pieces out and replace with rubber and hose clamps. Then check that your bumpstops are still okay. But it will more than likely be out of the way when you replace the bad section and you can move them outta the way.

Would replacing the bad parts of the line with rubber be more of a temporary fix or could I rely on that to hold for awhile? I would think that since it is so close to the engine it would get to hot for the rubber lines.

I too have had this happen on my 91 with a 2" Rancho lift. I cut the bad section out and replaced it with rubber to get home. I replaced both lines as they were over ten years old. It is an easy job. The retainers can be tricky though. There are plastic clips holding the metal pipes together. You have to insert two small flat blade screw drivers 180 degrees apart in the right places and carfully pry together while gently tugging at the pipe. Since I was getting the 4.5" R.E. soon I didn't sweat it. Haven't had a problem with the new lift installed. Sounds like you need taller bump stops.

When i bought my '92, the same thing had been done to it. You need to change them out. They are high pressure lines, and while a rubber hose with hose clamps are a great trail fix, they wont hold up for long. Also check out the uca to make sure it is not damaged as well. If it is you will need to replace that too.

I have replaced most of the metal transmission line with rubber trans hose and it works great, the same thing happend to mine with the upper arm.

logdog said:
They are high pressure lines, and while a rubber hose with hose clamps are a great trail fix, they wont hold up for long.
Define 'long', please... I'm going on 4 years and 70k miles with mine that way. ;)

When I patched it I used the same hose that is used for trans coolers so they are designed for that pressure but my only concern with keeping them was that they are practically touching the oil pan so I thought they would melt.

Well I can tell you that trans lines from the dealer are about 89 bucks for both side when I got them 3 years ago. I would think that would be the perm. fix not rubber. But that's just me. juice

I just called the dealer, they want $67.74 for the return line and $61.75 for the supply. I think I will try to see how the patch with the rubber lines will work for now and just keep a close eye on it for awhile. And maybe later I will go to a pull yard and get some used ones. I noticed today the line got hurt beyond my patch because it is still leaking so I need to extend the rubber line a little more today.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate the help.

Have none of you naysayers ever seen what type of hose is included in a tranny cooler kit?

Use 2 hose clamps on each end of hose and you'll be golden.

Okie Terry said:
Have none of you naysayers ever seen what type of hose is included in a tranny cooler kit?

Use 2 hose clamps on each end of hose and you'll be golden.

exactly. any cooler kit i have ever seen, including my own, has rubber hose. theyre really thick walled. go rubber

Thanks for the advice guys. I have it all hooked up and drove it over 30 miles so far with no problem. I will keep this fix for now since a few of you have suggested this, I just wanted to be sure I was not crazy for considering it.

Nope you're not crazy, and almost every XJ I've ever seen that's been wheeled at stock height has had this problem. Its more than common. Use it as an excuse for a lift :D

SimpleXJ

Mine did the same thing. It' an 89 with a 3-inch lift. I bought the new hard lines. $105 for both about a year ago. The thing was lifted but the bump stops were not changed. This is the source of the problem. Any time you make a suspension change you're going to have to check this out. As far as the rubber vs metal its no big deal either way. If you get an OEM trans cooler, guess what holds the rubber hose on the cooler? You guessed it-standard old worm gear clamp. I just like limiting the amount of rubber hose on the thing.

Back