• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crawl Ratio's...

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How would you figure your final crawl ratio? I have been told that an automatic with a torque converter can actually double your crawl ratio due to its ability to multiply torque or some damn thing.

With my normal gearing my crawl ratio only comes to 27.3:1 (AW4 2.80, NP231 2.72, Axle Ratio 3.55's) but if my torque converter doubles that it would be closer to 60:1.

Help me out here?? :lecture:

Depends on which torque converter and transmission what ratio you use.

For frame of reference: Civi H1 Hummers use 2.2 in their brochures for calculating the crawl ratio. I would expect most GM TD6.5s with the 4L80E can use this ratio for calcs.

For other trannies, not certain. I generally will use 1.75 and 2.5 to compare back and forth. Optimistic versus pessimistic guess. Realisticly 2.0 is probably safe.

In the end crawl ratio is just a number - reality will let you know soon enough if you have enough gearing for where you are going.

r@m

Back