• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling Carrier for Locker

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
I think I need a veteran to spank me if I am wrong with this.

If I have to pull a carrier in order to install a lunchbox locker (cross shaft won't get past ring gear). When installing it back in, I wouldn't have to set the preload on the bearings to the level they should be new???

Any adjustments for backlash when I get the carrier back in?
Pinion depth won't chage? (spank me if wrong)

yeah so I need a veteran to step up to the plate and hit me outta the park with some advice :viking:

first, make sure you can't just grnid a little off the ring gear, to slip the pin past it. If this is not an option, then you must pull the carrier.
With pulling the carrier, you need to make sure that you keep track of what shims are where. Also, and this is one of those can't hurts, mark where the ring gear is positioned on the carrier, so that it goes back the same. Key with all this is to make sure everything goes back together EXACTLY how it came apart, and you should be just fine. Also, be sure and torque the carrier caps back to factory specs.
Other than that, it is just turning a few wrenches.
HTH

Agree, first just try to grind some off the ring gear tooth, it won't hurt anything. The shims are behind the carrier bearings, and you're not disturbing the pinion gear, so nothing to be concerned about. Mark the carrier bearing caps so they go back in EXACTLY the same position, and torque the bolts to the correct specs, and that's all there is too it.

What axle is the locker going into? If it ford 9, corporate 14 bolt and I think the Chrysler 8.25, it has adjusters for the carrier instead of shims and you will need to make sure they are in the same place when you reinstall the carrier, or measure the backlash and reset it when done.

Back