• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pistons

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Are fancy piston coatings worth the $$$$? My new pistons are ordered and coming along, I have the option of sending them to the coating place for a moly skirt coating and a heat reflective top coating.......

CRASH

I don't know, but you may need any improvement you can get......

:D :D

Goatman said:
I don't know, but you may need any improvement you can get......

:D :D

Yeah, as long as you don't run out of the 110 octane you need to run your high compression beastie!

CRASH

CRASH said:
Yeah, as long as you don't run out of the 110 octane you need to run your high compression beastie!

CRASH

cases of Octane Boost......you'll be able to smell it in the exhaust.

I'd not worry about any heat-resist or heat-reflective coatings for these engines, they won't run hot enough or fast enough for them to be any help.

The graphite coating is useful (or not) - I'd be more inclined to have it for high-speed engines, but it can't hurt either. After all, the H802CP from Sealed Power has the graphite pads (or are they moly?) on the skirt for the later years, and they seem to work well for all years.

For more piston opinions, you may want to check out the archives at the "strokers" group - groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers. We beat things like this around all the time....

5-90

I love the people in the stroker group, I just can't stand the format.

Pistons are ordered, as well as Eagle rods. :)

28cc dish, 1.370 pin height, 5/64-3/16-3/16 grooves, sealed power moly rings, pin oiling holes.

CRASH

It looks like I just traded one of my spare 4.0L's (blown head gasket) for a late model 4.2 that's due to be rebuilt. So, I'll have a serpentine belt crank and rods for another stroker project for the MJ.

Now if I just had some more time and money.......

Time and money. Those would be nice.

CRASH

I met a guy with an extra 258 short block laying around his garage that he wanted to give me for free. Is it worth it for the crank and rods? Any thing to look for?

SeanP

CRASH said:
I love the people in the stroker group, I just can't stand the format.

Pistons are ordered, as well as Eagle rods. :)

28cc dish, 1.370 pin height, 5/64-3/16-3/16 grooves, sealed power moly rings, pin oiling holes.

CRASH
I spoke to Scot frey today and he can't get the Eagle rods any more, apparently some one bought all the 200 something rods at once . Did he tell you he had them in stock????

ravi

Re: Eagle Rods?

I bought sets of both the Eagle Sir and H-beam rods within the past year through Summit Racing - they were special ordered from Eagle and arrived in 10 days or so - I got the impression they were being manufactured to order but maybe they came out of stock?

If you don't want it, I'll take it. I could use the crank at least, I need a core to get offset ground to 4.000 for a project I've got in mind....

5-90

SeanP said:
I met a guy with an extra 258 short block laying around his garage that he wanted to give me for free. Is it worth it for the crank and rods? Any thing to look for?

SeanP

rsalemi said:
I bought sets of both the Eagle Sir and H-beam rods within the past year through Summit Racing - they were special ordered from Eagle and arrived in 10 days or so - I got the impression they were being manufactured to order but maybe they came out of stock?

According to Mike at Accurate Power, Eagle have stopped making the SIR rods for the 4.0 and he's run out of stock for his stroker kits. You'd be lucky to find any at all now. If not, the alternatives are either to recondition your stock 4.0 rods and use them with custom forged pistons or to use AMC 258 rods with 4.0 pistons.

Mike said he was going to talk to his reps today (monday). I guess I might have to step up the H-beam rods, which are a whole lot more expensive, or just get some new stockers.

I have "zero" faith in reconditioned rods. That seems to be the weak spot in the 4.0, as I've seen too many rods go south right at the 200,000 to 250,000 miles range.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Mike said he was going to talk to his reps today (monday). I guess I might have to step up the H-beam rods, which are a whole lot more expensive, or just get some new stockers.

I have "zero" faith in reconditioned rods. That seems to be the weak spot in the 4.0, as I've seen too many rods go south right at the 200,000 to 250,000 miles range.

CRASH
do you know who sells the H-beam rods and how much they run for?

thanks;
ravi

H-beams are made by Eagle as well, and they are about twice the price ($450). They are also .025 longer than stock, which means I'll have to modify my piston pin height if I want to keep my compression and quench as blueprinted.

CRASH

I used the Zollner/Sealed Power pistons in my newest micromotor...my machinist specs them in budget roundy-round motors...says they wear very well because of the relatively high silicone content and the skirt coating.

My 2 cents is antiscuff coating is a great idea...especially if you use low silicone content pistons...I wonder what Ferrari uses in their 18,000+ RPM
Formula 1 motors???

CRASH said:

CRASH

Most engines go south well before 200-250k miles so I'd be very happy with rods that last that long. It's unusual for rods to break under "metal fatigue" though. They usually break either because the engine overheats, is overrevved, is hydrolocked (probably the commonest reason in the 4.0), or there are oiling problems.
If used rods have been X-rayed for cracks, magnafluxed, shotpeened, and had the rod beams polished, there's no reason why they shouldn't last a very long time especially in a low revving motor like the 4.0 (or stroker).

If i can't get the Eagles, any one have a source for NEW OEM rods?

CRASH

Back