• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8" or 10" lift questions - Steering

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm moving for college, and WILL Not leave my XJ behind.

So here's the scenario, 8" or 10" lift front and rear, AA SYe, Woods Driveshaft, Clayton Long Arms, and all necessary Brake lines.

Looking at, for now, 35" tires.

What will I need to do with my steering to make this jeep "very streetable" , as it WILL get wheeled, it will also get a LOT of street miles.

ANy help?

I have 8 or so inches of lift. The only thing i changed is a Grand Cherokee pitman arm witch got me an 1" or so of drop and my steering is fine. I wheel it and it gets quite a few street miles, no problems.

6" is enough for 35", need to do some trimming though, but CoG will be way better than with 10" lift.

Currie makes a great replacement draglink, that has the rod ends angled to compensate for lift, it's way beefier than stock as well.

i'm just over 8" of lift and I run the beefed up Currie steering and a beefy 3" drop pitman arm. I don't run the front sway bar and I do get a lot of movement from the front end.........add to that, I also have a J20 gear box.....damn......to say my steering has a light feel is big understatement.

IMO......if you want to run that high of a lift (daily) hook up the sway bar, it can only firm things up.

I run 8" on my cherokee with 35 tires as a DD. I actually threw out the whole old steering system and went with a beefy new tie rod and drag link. Connected it up with hiem joints. I also threw on a ZJ pitman arm. Costs a little money, but it works great, never fails, and I get lots of compliments on it.

I'm running 8". Here is my custom steering:
707859dsc00442.jpg

John B said:
Anyone know if Currie will sell the draglink seperately?...or does one need to purchase the whole kit?

yes it is.
its listed this way in there catalog. but not on there site.
-g

ChuckD said:
How's the bumpsteer? The angle between the DL and TR look pretty good. Is there any clearance issues?

Hardly any bumpsteer and never had to worry about clearance.The tube is 3/4" and I use heim joints. Works awesome.

man, if I were to go to U of Cin., the first mod Iwould look at is how to make my rig theft proof. You do realize that U of Cin is located in an inner city warzone? The don't take too kindly to rich white kids with nice cars.

SeanP

SeanP said:
man, if I were to go to U of Cin., the first mod Iwould look at is how to make my rig theft proof. You do realize that U of Cin is located in an inner city warzone? The don't take too kindly to rich white kids with nice cars.

SeanP

Well, way off topic, but since we've gone there...

UC is actually in Clifton, a very historic, gaslight-type neighborhood. The "warzone" would be Over-The-Rhine, to the south, which is very rough indeed.

Most of Clifton's crime problem is the snot-nosed rich kids, out from under mommy's thumb for the first time, gettin drunk and actin stupid. Last year's Cinco de Mayo party ended with overturned cars...

Just a little off-topic fyi....

Robert

(By the way, Speed, congrats, good luck, and welcome to the city!)

Back