• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sluggish steering

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I took a short wheeling triip the other day and noticed a couple days later that my steering was requiring more effort and doesn't return to center when I go around a corner. Additional info. When it's cold (>32*f) I have to move about 20 feet before it gets power. No squealing belts or anything like that, stabilizer is new pump is full, no leaks. Am I looking at a new box? If so anyone have a used one??
TIA
asat

Sounds more like you might be looking at a new pump rather than a new box, but it's hard to diagnose by remote control.

Ok eagle I like a challenge, what do I go look for?

Dunno. I haven't checked the FSM but I assume they have a test procedure involving pressure readings on the outlet side of the pump.

What I can tell you is that I replaced the box in my '88 MJ and it still takes several seconds to "wake up" on cold (or even cool) mornings. After that it seems to be fine for the rest of that day. It hasn't gotten worse so I ignore it.

I know where I can get a used pump inexpensively so I'll just wait it out until it quits altoghether. Other things are more pressing right now like tranny mount,rotors,pads,oil change,tuneup.......................... :loveu: I LOVE MY JEEP!

Back