• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temporary clearence

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
The truck- '01 4.0 Auto 242 8.25
The problem- I'm going to need new tires before I can swing the cash for a
real lift......
The question- Can I get away with 2inch lift rear shackles for clearence on
the street until I've got bank for the lift?? Or am I asking for
wicked vibes?? :(

I'm thinking ACOS up front to buy me time and clearence on the front end. But I'm thinking I may consider some OME rear springs to not screw my pinion angle....also no cash for SYE at this time. I'm figuring the shackles and ACOS will be used in the future with further suspension mods.
Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
ChuckstrPT said:
The truck- '01 4.0 Auto 242 8.25
The problem- I'm going to need new tires before I can swing the cash for a
real lift......
The question- Can I get away with 2inch lift rear shackles for clearence on
the street until I've got bank for the lift?? Or am I asking for
wicked vibes?? :(

How big tires?? And vibes? very likely, also don't expect your springs to last too long. ANyways, when you do the rear with such long shackle you will probably have to put in some shims with the fat end forward to bring the pinion down (degree, unsure... it will all depend after you put it in). ANyways, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.Oh and temporary front solution?? $40 for a polyurethane spacer. Down the road you might want to get ACOS but for now I'd put the money towards the rear and potentially SYE.

Kejtar said:
How big tires?? And vibes? very likely, also don't expect your springs to last too long. ANyways, when you do the rear with such long shackle you will probably have to put in some shims with the fat end forward to bring the pinion down (degree, unsure... it will all depend after you put it in). ANyways, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.Oh and temporary front solution?? $40 for a polyurethane spacer. Down the road you might want to get ACOS but for now I'd put the money towards the rear and potentially SYE.
I'm lookin at either a 245/75/16 or 255/70/16. Leaning towards the 255's- slightly shorter and slightly wider. I'm hoping to get up to 3 to 3.5 inches within a year or so, including the SYE. I hate to waste 40 bucks on spacers that I'll likely just toss in the trash later. I'm thinking the ACOS will help me keep my 3-3.5 inches after adding front bumper, and later clearencing 285/75/16s(after further suspension mods). I really don't like the temporary thing, but I also don't like the idea of investing almost as much money into an OME suspension, when I'll only be going another inch or 2 later. That seems like a waste. The extended shackle idea didn't sit well with me either, but again, I'd had to mess around with AAL either. Thought about just buying the rear springs I want, and the rest if the front later, but I'll still need the SYE......If I only had more cash!

rough country 3 in lift from jc whitney 100 bucks and you can upgrade to another lift in a year and sell the lift for 50 bucks :)

how bout WAITING until you have ALL your lift componants before modifying your jeep?

too many jeep owners suffering from instant gratification these days.

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call this instant gratification. I would call this smart thinking. He needs tires and knows he wants a good lift a little down the road. Might as well buy the tires you want now and cheaply lift just enough to drive on the road till he can get it done right and play with it. He's got the correct end in sight, just has to budget like most of the rest of us.

OK, you're looking to get about a 30" tire which you should be able to get with a basic BB. On a 98 I ran 31" tires on the trail with a spacer over up country in the front and an AAL in the rear. Since you're not planning on hitting trails for now again I'd recommend to get an AAL (you said about a year will be the temporary time) and a spacer. All in all it will cost you about $100 or so for both (ok, tops $150) but when you get the full length AAL and the spacer you will be ahead of the game as you will not have to worry about the leaf pack doing anything really funky (axle wrap and so on) to you and you might be able to get away with only a tcase drop.

ChuckstrPT said:
I hate to waste 40 bucks on spacers that I'll likely just toss in the trash later.
FYI you will not waste money on the spacers. You will be able to sell those probably for $20 to $30 later without too much trouble.

I was in the same situation considering the same parts 7 months ago. I agree with Beezil, Save up or start collecting the parts first. It's only temporary so why not wait. Then when you have collected everything, build it, troubleshoot it, and shod it with the right tires all at once. If you can't wait, follow Kejtars advice, you can BB 2" for half the cost of ACOS. Do you really plan on only 30's when you are ready for the lift you want? I stayed at 235's, did the 2" BB, now I've got more lift and the 31's I always wanted on the way. I completely disagree with the statement your stock rig is totally un trailworthy....

xjblue said:
I completely disagree with the statement your stock rig is totally un trailworthy....
No offense was meant to anyone or thing with that statement. That was a purely functional statement. Where I've learnes wheeling, you need certain basics before hitting any trail....I don't even have any tow points front OR rear! No tow strap for said towing. No CB for communicating. No safety stuff at all. And you should see the STREET tires that came on it!
Thanks for all the input! It's very helpful. I think I'm leaning toward spacers and full length AAL....would that force the tcase drop?? And BONUS... the old Rancho 9000's (from my Samurai 3 inch lift) I've had in my garage for 2+ years will fit my stock to nearly stock suspension! and won't cost me a dime...well maybe for the BPE's.
Thanks again

Beezil said:
how bout WAITING until you have ALL your lift componants before modifying your jeep?

too many jeep owners suffering from instant gratification these days.

:rolleyes:

No, just most people can't afford to or don't have the ability to put on locked D60's F & R, 8" LA Kit, tons of body armour, and all the BS that goes along with it. It is more affordable to put a BB and 235's on and be able to enjoy 80% of the trails in the USA, and upgrade as you can afford to.

Back