• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 rear axle question with pics

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an 89 8.8 rear housing out of a Mustang. I droped the gear ratio from 2.73 to 4.10, big step I know. Now when I get up to speed I get a weird whin, thats speeds 75 +. I took it all apart and looked at the pinion depth with the gear marker goo, I took some photos to a local off road store, Mt. Logan he sayed I needed to move my pinon toward the trans .010 to .020 now with no shim between the gear on the pinion and the inner bearing that is closest to the gear, but with a shim between the outer bearing and the yoke (about .020) how do I move it back?? Can I just scrap that shim between the outer bearing and the yoke or move my third member over or both?? Any and all replies and thoughts will be very helpful. Here are the picutres of the pattern. http://photos.yahoo.com/triple4x4
P.S. that MJ is for sale to.
Thank To All
Holden

Back