• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2x4-->4x4 Conversion

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I know this question has been asked a million and one times, but they are always about older AT Cherokees, so here we go:

EDIT: Those of you that have done it, think you write out the order, and mabey list soem problems you ran into?

I have a a 97 Cherokee SE, 5spd, and the Chrysler 8.25, which I am picking up from my dad for $1500. (If I pay for it, I'll apreciate it more, or so they say) I know you have to have the Front axle, transfer case (the 231 is the part time and the 242 is the full time?) mabey new trany, front drive shaft (someone mentioned needing a new rear shaft to becasue the 4x4 is shorter?), and all the interior stuff. Can this all be abtained from a junkyard? How much will this set me back? And, heres the real hard part... I'm only 15 :doh: , and I will have the help of 1, mabey 2 17 year olds. I know its all bolt on, so its not THAT hard, but I'm not going to kill my self down the road because I didn't tighten a nut enoguh am I?

As for tools, I'll need like a jack, jack stands, and various hand tools. Is that it? I've done some small car work, but I've never messed with the drivetrain before. I'd ask for some of ya'lls help, but ya'll all seem to live in PA, and I' in AL. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You seem to have done your home work. You've named the major components you need. As far as tires go, get what you can afford, believe me, you don't need 33" or 35" top of the line tires to have fun wheeling an XJ. I hope you plan to make this a project you can take your time on, there will be things that pop up that cost $$. I'd do the conversion, get some afordable tires, and get skids (protection), and have at it. I'm in the middle of converting a 2wd MJ to 4wd.

JnJ said:
You seem to have done your home work. You've named the major components you need. As far as tires go, get what you can afford, believe me, you don't need 33" or 35" top of the line tires to have fun wheeling an XJ. I hope you plan to make this a project you can take your time on, there will be things that pop up that cost $$. I'd do the conversion, get some afordable tires, and get skids (protection), and have at it. I'm in the middle of converting a 2wd MJ to 4wd.
I was thinking about putting a 2 inch lift and some 30's.

St3mpy said:
I was thinking about putting a 2 inch lift and some 30's.
Good thinking, I started with a 2" budget boost and ran 30 BFG MTs. I had a great time with that setup and one lunch box locker in the rear.You can usually find good deals on used 30" MTs cause others move up from them to 33s or 35s. Just keep an eye out for a good deal. My 30s where the last set of "new" tires I purchased. I have since run 31s and now 35s all used.

you're right about needing a new rear shaft too that transfere case will take up a little more room so the rear shaft will have to be shorter. You could probably get the shaft you have shortened at a drive line shop theres one around here that does it for under a 100bucks or so I've heard.

Best bet is to find a donor vehicle, one thats been rolled and totaled. First step, get a factory service manual from jeep. It will have 2wd and 4wd stuff in it as well as Right and left hand drive. TAKE PICTURES of the 4x4 both assembled and as you remove parts, LABEL EVERYTHING and put it in baggies. When you remove the driveshaft in the front MARK THE WAY IT IS ON THERE WITH CHALK so that when you reassemble it the shaft will still be in balance. Tape the caps on the universals so they don't fall off and spill those bearings all over the place [hate it when that happens] Minimum of 4 jackstands, good floor jack and a bottle jack or two. Don't do it in the dirt, jackstands sink in soft soil. Don't work under it alone when doing major heavy stuff, don't want to read about you in the paper or see you on the evening news...
For moving that front end around build a dolly so you can roll it around to get it positioned, tranny jack will work better but you will have to rent one, get the job done and get it back to the rental place so plan that front end when you have adequate help.
Tools, make sure you have what you will need, pickle fork, good pry bar, couple of big drift pins.
Don't forget the transfer case linkages and levers, also grab the console if you can. Get as much as you can of ANY associated parts or any that you THINK are associated. See if the yard will 'reserve' the front drivetrain of the vehicle while you are doing this so that if you miss a part you can go back for it. Being a bit on the young side they might just agree to that.
Thats about all I can think of, OH I *think* the springs on the 4x4 are heavier than the 2x4 so mark them D and P and grab them too.

Theres alot of 2wd jeeps that need saving, glad you're doing one....

The tranny is heavy. Add a transmission jack to your list of tools. Harbor Freight Tools sells a mechanical one for about $50 -- basically a mechanical double scissor jack with four wheels and an oversized top platform. I wouldn't want to use it every day, but it will probably get the job done for you.

You can also get tranny adapters to fit a standard service station type hydraulic floor jack.

Ya, I wouldn't waste money on a tranny jack on a tight budget. Get a good floor jack and use wood to adapt it to the tranny, and have your buddies help. I've pull the tranny a few times and have never used a tranny jack.

Eagle said:
The tranny is heavy. Add a transmission jack to your list of tools. Harbor Freight Tools sells a mechanical one for about $50 -- basically a mechanical double scissor jack with four wheels and an oversized top platform. I wouldn't want to use it every day, but it will probably get the job done for you.

You can also get tranny adapters to fit a standard service station type hydraulic floor jack.

JnJ said:
Ya, I wouldn't waste money on a tranny jack on a tight budget. Get a good floor jack and use wood to adapt it to the tranny, and have your buddies help. I've pull the tranny a few times and have never used a tranny jack.

That for some reason just makes my fingers throb with the possibiities of three kids trying to stop a slipping tranny from falling off a piece of 3/4 ply.
Eagles suggestion of the tranny adapter for floor jack is a good suggestion as it will probably have some kind of a chain setup to retain the tranny, would make a good addition to your tool collection for that odd tranny pulling event and maybe not wanting a dedicated tranny jack around [though they do make a handy seat sometimes :D ]

if you can, try to find the tranny/t-case combo from a 95 or newer cherokee, then you can reuse your existing clutch slave cylinder.

the only thing not said so far is the transfer case shifter linkage. this will definitely be needed, EVERY single piece.

I did my first engine swap/rebuild at your age. remember, it's all just nuts, bolts and screws. nothing complicated ;)

anyone who starts wrenchin' before they start drivin' will be a better driver because of it! :yelclap:

Just what John said...plan on taking your time and doing it right. It's best if it's not your DD right now, so you can afford to have it off the road. Take your time, and you'll learn ALOT about your Jeep. You're right, it is a bolt-in job, but there are subtle little nuances that are hardly noticeable, but do make a difference, not the least of which is the TC linkage. Make sure you grab the ENTIRE linkage assy. for your swap. Get parts that you aren't sure you're going to need (within budget, of course)...you'll sava alot of trips back and forth. I'd also install all new driveshaft UJ's just because they're cheap, and you'll have everything apart at the time. While in the process, take a look around for anything else that might need to be repaired/replaced while you have the chance to work underneath without everything in the way. I found that the swap was easier if you start by removing the front axle assy. before removing/installing any drivetrain components. That way, you have ready access from the front of the vehicle to get at the driveline, and more space to work a floor/trans jack than from the side. When you get it all done, do a nut-and-bolt job on it to make sure you got everything tight, then drive it around in a "controlled environment" a little, and recheck the front suspension fasteners once everything gets comfy in it's new environment.
Good luck!
Jeff

JnJ said:

Harbor Freight sells a tranny jack for about $50 on sale every so often... I'm thinking about picking one up as it'd be useful thing to have.

Eagle said:
Harbor Freight Tools sells a mechanical one for about $50 ...

Kejtar said:
Harbor Freight sells a tranny jack for about $50 on sale every so often...

Echo? Is there an echo in here? Helloooooo? :D

Back