• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Replacement

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if a windshield off a 1991 cherokee will fit in a 1990 commanche? The junk yard said it would- but I want to make sure before I end up with a horrible mess.

Any suggestions for the replacement process? Can you change a windshield in cold weather (under 40F)? I also heard not to drive it for 24 hours- true or false?

TIA
PRL

prljeep said:
Anyone know if a windshield off a 1991 cherokee will fit in a 1990 commanche? The junk yard said it would- but I want to make sure before I end up with a horrible mess.

Any suggestions for the replacement process? Can you change a windshield in cold weather (under 40F)? I also heard not to drive it for 24 hours- true or false?

TIA
PRL
I can't see why it wouldn't fit - everything from the front bumper to the trailing edge of the front doors should be identical betwen XJs and MJs

I had the windshield on my '92 done last year, but I didn't do it myself, so I can't speak to DIY procedures. I can say that the place that did mine used the "quick-dry" adhesive, and I was back on the road within 90 minutes of installation. The other adhesive he had would have required a few hours of curing time, but certainly not 24. Of course, it IS possible that the DIY adhesives take longer, but you'd have to read the labels to find out.

Have you investigated whether any local auto glass shops would do the install for you if you brought the replacement parts yourself? If nothing else, they'd probably have a (slightly) heated garage to work in.

HTH,

Rob

Yes it will fit.

No, do not try to install it under 40*.

In fact, I wouldn't try to do it myself at all. I've watched the pros do it, and w/o their electric sealant gun I think I'd muck it up for certain. The size of the sealant bead they lay down is MUCH fatter than anything I can get out of a manual gun.

I used to own a body shop, and stopped doing glass when they started glueing them in. Have the pros do it. If they crack it, if it leaks, or has any other problems, they just fix it no problem. Also, cutting out the old one is a major pita you dont need. If you have comp. coverage on your ins. there is likely no deductable on glass. If you don't just know that there is a huge mark up on glass, so a shop that wants your busness should be willing to work with you on price. I am about to have mine done too, and they will even come to my work to do it, but it is much warmer here in AZ. so it can be done out doors. If you try this one yourself you start with an imperfect windshield (used) and could well crack it in the effort there by shooting any saveings you might have had. For my money, this is one of those jobs best left to the pros.

drroadie said:
I used to own a body shop, and stopped doing glass when they started glueing them in. Have the pros do it. If they crack it, if it leaks, or has any other problems, they just fix it no problem. Also, cutting out the old one is a major pita you dont need. If you have comp. coverage on your ins. there is likely no deductable on glass. If you don't just know that there is a huge mark up on glass, so a shop that wants your busness should be willing to work with you on price. I am about to have mine done too, and they will even come to my work to do it, but it is much warmer here in AZ. so it can be done out doors. If you try this one yourself you start with an imperfect windshield (used) and could well crack it in the effort there by shooting any saveings you might have had. For my money, this is one of those jobs best left to the pros.

I've done it myself in the past, but must reluctantly agree with the above. IF you can get the old one out without too much trouble or damage, and IF it's very cheap or free, you might still take the chance, but the adhesive and sealant will set you back another 30 bucks or more, you'll have to be very careful not to damage the trim or the trim clips on your vehicle, and it can be very hard, even if you get it glued in well enough to be safe, to avoid leaks. This can be a very frustrating job.

If you do decide to do it, the usual way is to slice off the old windshield and leave a good portion of the original bead on. If you do this on an old vehicle, make very sure that the old bead is really properly stuck all the way around, because rust can cause it to separate, so that even if you do a perfect job of bonding the new glass to the old bead it will leak.

Oh, and for those who recall the famous "herculiner-on-the hootus" post of a few years back, windshield adhesive is similarly tenacious, so if you drink beer or coffee during the job, you'd do well to have a ***really*** good friend along, or pack a pair of tongs. :looser:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :yelclap:

I still may try it myself
1. the replacement window was cheap.
2. the fractured window came on the vehicle when I bought it
3. I only have liability insurance
4. Advance Auto Parts made it sound easy- http://www.advanceautoparts.com/how...edia_html/res/res20030201wi/res20030201wi.htm

As for the current windshield, I planned to cover it in duct tape and smash it out if I can not easily get the bead of window chaulk to release with a hot knife.

Wish me luck- damn the automotive glass industry!!!

If anyone sees a jeep with a saran wrap windshield- that could be me!

In that link, I believe their method is not appropriate for our glued in windshields. You should be looking for a urethane adhesive/sealant that comes in a caulking tube for about $10 at NAPA. There is also a primer product necessary to get the adhesive to stick to the bare glass. If you leave a thin film of the old stuff on the used windshield, then you shouldn't need the primer. The glued in windshields are actually a structural element that you want have stay glued in if you have a roll over.

For a hot knife tool, you can take a foot of 1/2" EMT (electrical metalic tubing) and smash one end flat so it holds a utility knife blade. Heat the blade up with a propane torch and it will slice through the sealer pretty easily.

Once again the gods at the NAXJA forums are right- I dug out my FSM and found that they have a short and extended method for windshield replacement. The short method has 19 steps; the extended has 20 steps (wow big difference). It is insane that the FSM has a five step procedure for changing a transmission and twenty for a stupid window!

If I am easy with the removal process and leave the current bead of urethane intact, then the short method can be used!

Maybe I will just look for a CJ flip down windshield- I think I could just bolt that in my MJ hole!!!

I bow to the NAXJA gods!

Thanks all-

:flame: (want to hear more about the herculiner on the hootus story!!!) :flame:

Back