• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need lift vibe help!!!

tnxjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a 41/2 inch lift on my 97 Xj. The driveline has quite a bit of vibration. I have a transfer case drop kit, but I am new at this and don't know how to install it. I put the lift on myself, so I am hoping i can install the drop kit as well. Any help in solving my proublem would be much appreciated.

If the 97 cross member is anything like the older xj's, you should have 2 bolts going up into the frame rail from below the x member and two studs coming down from the frame rail into the x member secured by 2 nuts. Put a floor jack under the x member and remove the 2 bolts and the 2 nuts. This will allow you to lower the x member with the drive line attached a few inches. You'll then need to remove the two studs either with a par of tight vicegrips or by threading two nuts on to each stud and tightening them together as a jam nut set up. You may then be able to loosen the studs by turning the top nut with an open end wrench. this *should* loosen the stud from it's weld nut in the frame. Onece the studs and bolts are out, slide your tcase drop in and reinstall the x member with the longer, supplied bolts.
If need be, for access to the studs, you can separate the x member from the tranny mount, just make sure that the tranny is supported on a floor jack, instead of the x member.
HTH

Forget the tc drop and buy an AA HD SYE and driveshaft (about $500 for both) If you don't know how to install a tc drop I would advise getting a good shop to install the SYE.

Did you do any research before buying your lift?

the 97+ XJ's are more prone to vibes after lifting than the earlier style. The drop may not solve the drive angle problem. You may need to go to an SYE kit eventually.

Well right now I don't have any money to get a SYE. The vibes aren't terrible, they are just annoying after a while. The only thing I am affraid of is that my slip yolk might pull out of the t-case when I'm on a trail. Also, would it help to get new u-joints. The ones I have are the crappy factory ones that you can't grease.

tnxjjeeper said:
Well right now I don't have any money to get a SYE. The vibes aren't terrible, they are just annoying after a while. The only thing I am affraid of is that my slip yolk might pull out of the t-case when I'm on a trail. Also, would it help to get new u-joints. The ones I have are the crappy factory ones that you can't grease.

While on the "trail" I wouldn't hit the trails without an SYE. Seriously when I lifted my 00 I couldn't drive over 10mph. without getting seasick. I would save your money and get an SYE asap. You can try the drop, but I wouldn't expect any miracles. Plus an SYE makes your output shaft alot stronger and once its done you can lift to whatever height without worries, not to mention vibes = wear.

If you got the lift on by yourself, then the tcase drop should be a picnic.
Put a floor jack under the crossmember, and then remove the bolts and studs, and insert the spacers, and tighten 90%.
Once the spacers are in, torque the bolts to the correct tightness(no idea personally) and you are set.
Even with the tcase drop, you are probably going to have vibes with a 97+ at 4.5".
I ran with a drop in my '99 for about 6 months at only 2.5" lift and it still drove me nuts.
I am at 4" now with an RE 'hack-n-tap' and can set the cruise at 95mph and still be on the phone, with the kids in the back watching a DVD.
HTH.

P.S. For a real challenge, try lifting a Supra with 11,670 rear wheel hp!!!
:fuse:

Last edited:
tnxjjeeper said:
What size lift is on your 00?

Was a 4.5", thats why I offer the advice and the fact that vibes are common on 97+ XJs with over 2"s of lift.

ZachMan said:
While on the "trail" I wouldn't hit the trails without an SYE. Seriously when I lifted my 00 I couldn't drive over 10mph. without getting seasick. I would save your money and get an SYE asap. You can try the drop, but I wouldn't expect any miracles. Plus an SYE makes your output shaft alot stronger and once its done you can lift to whatever height without worries, not to mention vibes = wear.

you can do trails with a lift on a newer XJ and no SYE: I had a 98 and I wheeled it with about 3.5" and only a tcase drop. Anyways, each jeep is different and things that you should/need to do to it vary, but it is true that you should try and figure out what the problem is and solve it as vibes cause extra strain/wear on components.

Also don't discount hack and tap sye from RE. This is not a bad item to consider.

So you don't think that I should worry about my slip yolk pulling out of the transfer case when I'm out on the trail? Also, would it help if I put in new
u-joints? I am only 17 so I am very new at this and I need my Jeep to be able to get me to school and back at highway speeds.

tnxjjeeper said:
So you don't think that I should worry about my slip yolk pulling out of the transfer case when I'm out on the trail? Also, would it help if I put in new
u-joints? I am only 17 so I am very new at this and I need my Jeep to be able to get me to school and back at highway speeds.

Oh it's not such an easy answer: in regards to pulling out the yoke on the trail what you need to do is jack up your rig, sit it up on the jackstands and then let the axle droop and see how far your slip yoke gets pulled out.

Back