• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TvGuy: Tomken rear bumper

JohnJohn

Member #42
Hey TvGuy.

I meant to ask you about it at the M&G but forgot. I am thinking about putting that rear bumper on my '98. They are really one of the least expensive option available right now for a bumper and swing out. I have own a Tomken before, but curious how you like the 97+ version. I have also heard of people installing them, then putting on a 35"+ tire and then having trouble opening the hatch. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I just installed a tomken rear bumper w/ a tire carrier on a '00. The rear hatch opens fine (about 1/4" clearance). The finished product looked real clean. The only bad thing was the liscence plate bracket, it's kinda flimsy.

logdog said:
I just installed a tomken rear bumper w/ a tire carrier on a '00. The rear hatch opens fine (about 1/4" clearance). The finished product looked real clean. The only bad thing was the liscence plate bracket, it's kinda flimsy.

I agree with the plate being flimsy. I will have to fab up something differnt for that. I may screw into the tailgate and mount the included light and mounting bracket right to the tailgate.

What we did was install the licence plate light to the left side of the bumper in the factory plastic, and then just screwed the plate to the bumper itself.

logdog said:

1/4 clearance with what size tire? I am concerned about the swingoutwitha 35" tire open all the way, and it touching the side of the hatch while the hatch is closed.

Thanks,

Who had the black XJ for sale is that the tomken bumper/tire carrier your talking about. looked nice and simple. I really need to get that tire out of the back. With it laying there it takes up alot of space with all the other junk I take wheeling with me. That and when it slides around in the dogs place she gets a bit cranky.

I'm hope between the new job (should get find out next week) and my tax return I might be getting a welder here soon and might be able to come up with some of my own stuff.

JohnJohn said:
Hey TvGuy.
I meant to ask you about it at the M&G but forgot. I am thinking about putting that rear bumper on my '98. They are really one of the least expensive option available right now for a bumper and swing out. I have own a Tomken before, but curious how you like the 97+ version. I have also heard of people installing them, then putting on a 35"+ tire and then having trouble opening the hatch. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

johnjohn,

i think TVGUY was the one w/ that bad@ss blue XJ w/ all the custom work by Phat Jeeps (i.e. no Tomken bumper). unless i'm the one confused...

btw, thanks for the grub!

terry

Yea,mine does not have a tire carrier on it I am still trying to figure that one out but thanks for the comments. I guess I will find out what I need to do since I am leaving for moab on thursday. I will try to post a update for anyone going down later this month

JohnJohn said:
1/4 clearance with what size tire? I am concerned about the swingoutwitha 35" tire open all the way, and it touching the side of the hatch while the hatch is closed.

Thanks,
35" tire, the carrier sits just about center of the rear hatch, and we had no clearance issues.

Back