• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift?

mikeygone1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys! Newbie here. Ive been searching the forums, but cant seem to find an answer to this. Im looking to put a 3inch Rusty's lift on my 88 (5spd, 6cyl, 231, Dana 30/35, 30in tires). Besides the kit, what else will I need? Ive seen posts on a tcase drop, SYE and shims? Im looking to do this myself and was wondering what I might run into as far as problems/vibrations. Also, will i need to have it aligned? I installed a lift on my ranger a few years ago, but I didnt run into any problems. I know this is alot, so thanks in advance!

mike

I did a 3" lift on my 89 with no probs. You can do a t-case drop if you want, but you don't have to till you go over 6" of lift as long as you have no vibes. I am going to do the t-case drop for the piece of mind, as my rig flexes alot with 33's. all you need is some 1" spacers, and some 10mm x 1.5 pitch bolts 1" longer then stock to do it.

yes get it aligned.

adj track bar will recenter your axle.

on an 88, i would think the control arm bushings would be shot. i would replace the lower control arms with stock ones from quadratec or get new adj. ones from RE. worn control arm bushings may clunk or cause the steering to wander a bit.

yeah forgot about the alignment, I had 1/2" of toe in when I did my lift, and had bad death wobble at 30mph and up.

If you are doing the lift yourself, make sure you do a suitable alignment before you go get it done by a "pro." FSMs have an alignment section as well as websites if you search.

Back