• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Years??

KJR93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Wonder if any one can help me figure out what year headers can be swapped on to different year XJ and models also. I have been looking for a used header and am wondering what years can work on a 93 xj????

I know that they have different O2 sensor and what not, but they don't have different bolt mounts do they, and what about down tube sizes?????

Any one know they interchangable parts???

thanks for your efforts

:huh:

The 91 to 99 headers are the same and interchangeable. 00 and 01 use cast iron short manifolds, and the 87 to 90 manifolds are a short header style, but have the EGR tube port.

The manifold types aren't really interchangeable. Look around, there are several companies making replacement manifolds that will bolt right in. Gibson and Borla are the names that come to mind right now, but I'm sure there are more.

Hope this answers your question.

Bryan

if i'm hearing you right an aftermarket header off a 90 will not work on a 93?? because they have shorter headers?? by shorter you mean what exactly?? the down pipe will not align or reach?? sorry i'm new to header world.

The only difference between the Mopar/Mike Leech for a 90 and a 93 is the provision to hook up the EGR on the 90. I know this because I bought a Mopar header for my 90 and it came without the EGR hook up. I sent it back and they just added the EGR hook up.
I don't know if that can be generalized to other aftermarket headers.

Fred

If you find a 87 - 90 just cut off the EGR heat tube and put a 3/8" plug in the fitting, then use it to plug the header. everything else bolts on - only difference in down pipe is up to 93 they had a 4 bolt flange in front of cat - later doesn't have the flange - either interchanges.

KJR93XJ said:
if i'm hearing you right an aftermarket header off a 90 will not work on a 93?? because they have shorter headers?? by shorter you mean what exactly?? the down pipe will not align or reach?? sorry i'm new to header world.

The 87 to 90 4.0 header and the 91 to 99 headers are different in the way the hook up to the down pipe. The 87 to 90 is shorter than the 91 to 99. I am fairly sure they won't line up at the down pipe, but they will bolt up to either head. I ran a 95 HO engine in a 89 and used all the stock 89 components on it. The intake ports didn't match up very well, but the exhaust was fine. I assume you are talking about a direct bolt in without modifying anything, right? If you are changing the downpipe, like with a Borla header, I would assume it would work OK. I will do a little more checking into the headers tomorrow at work so as to be sure I am putting out the correct info. I will post tomorrow night with my findings.

Bryan

I was hoping to do a direct bolt on, but if their is any way to have a shop bend a pipe to make it work I could live with it. My friend has one off a 90 that he might sell and I wanted to bolt it up to my 93, his has a flange and I wanted to mate them up.

Thanks for all the good info you all

Back