• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door panel tool?

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I gotta take the interior door panel off the front this week so I can get the door panel off. I did a search to see if any special tools were needed and someone said there is but didnt say what it is. So can anyone tell me what tool I gotta buy?

thanks
Dean

It looks like a really thin wrench. Usually really cheap. A putty knife will also work. And of course there is your hands (prefered method). If your worried about breaking the tabs, just go slow. If not, rip the whole thing off and screw it back on the door (prefered method).
HTH.

so all there is are those tabs, i pulled the bottom part back with my hands to replace my speakers but didnt have to get the top, just figures thats wear I might need this "special tool". So after i take off the power window and loack swithches and arm rest that thing should just pop right up? assuming the tabs are out.

Dean

imma honky said:
It looks like a really thin wrench. Usually really cheap. A putty knife will also work. And of course there is your hands (prefered method). If your worried about breaking the tabs, just go slow. If not, rip the whole thing off and screw it back on the door (prefered method).
HTH.
Over the last 30 years I've used all the methods you suggest (and more), and my opinion is that I will never remove a door panel without the tool made for that purpose. You can buy it at any auto parts store for $5 - 10 . . . it makes the job easier. If you are putting enough pressure on the door panel to break the little christmas trees that hold it on, you are putting enough pressure on the door panel to risk breaking the door panel itself (been there, done that, too).

Do you need the special tool. Absolutely not. But, if you are like me, you won't ever want to do it again without the tool, after you use the tool.

what year are you talking about? pre 97's have the good ole door skins. If you have electric locks/windows its even easier. Take out the screws holding the door handle to the door, pull it out far enough to unclip it, then unhook the wire harness. If it manual doors, same as above, but unclip the window crank. Takes maybe 5 mins (prolly less) total. If you have a later year, it should be the same, but im not positive.

A couple of hints.

First, on the older type (pre-97) you don't actually have to unclip the door handle inside. It's a nuisance to reclip the rods, so I just pull it out a little way and feed it through the panel at an angle leaving all rods attached.

Once the clips are pulled, you remove the panel by pulling upward. The top edge hooks over a ledge in the door itself. When putting it back, you'll have to start by hooking the top and then pulling down.

The tool everyone is talking about looks like a very wide screwdriver with the tip slightly bent, and a notch in the end. Don't remember what the correct name for it is, but it's something clever like "upholstery tool."

If I remember correctly, once all is unhooked and you start to lift up on the panel to remove it, you also have to slide it back about an inch to release it from something.

Here's a picture of the "pry tool". It works well for many things (dandelions included) but especially the door panels. Most auto parts stores carry them at around $4.00.
LinkPhoto

thanks for the replys. I got a few of those types of tools, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something different.

thanks
dean

Back