• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Skid or Rockers - What next?

Kevin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 and have replaced the crossmember with Rusty's crossmember and installed Rusty's transfer case skid plate. I have a factory fuel tank skid plate. I'm debating between the engine/tranny skid from Rusty's or similar product from somewhere else or a set of rockers. Any recommendations on which to do next.

I have 3" lift and this is my DD.

And finally, has anyone used the front end skid from Rusty's?

I would say go with rockers. Those were one of the first mods I did. We have lots of rocks here, and the rocker panels are really vunerable on XJs.

Rocker protection hands down. I've never have used an engine skid and I've never damaged the engine yet (not by trail contact at least). But, I am currently just a web wheeler.

If they are worth saving, definately armor the rockers. The front bracket of Rusty's skid goes between the LCA bolts, so that's prime-time to swap out arms if that was ever a plan.

In 4 seasons of MJ/XJing, I've had one occasion where an engine skid would have paid itself off...A "lucky rock" squirted out from under the LF tire, got levered & stood up underneath. It broke a bellhousing 'ear' tab off the block @7000 miles on a rebuild :eek: :bawl: Sux was the Jeep had already been through a LOT of worse places... I had the skid at home, uninstalled. Still do LOL.

Three other factors that added to this:
#1- The BH ear was broken/repaired before I bought the rebuilt engine.
#2- The two torx bolts atop the BH are there for a reason.
#3- I made a bad choice by just peeking under & then hammering down, rather than stopping to use a jack.

If/when I get around to hanging the eng/trans skid on something, I'd plumb for remote drains.

i have a tomken engine skid, it is not in the way of anything but oil changes, but i would go with the rock rails first.

2offroad said:
i have a tomken engine skid, it is not in the way of anything but oil changes, but i would go with the rock rails first.

Rockers first, then the engine trans skid. I have Rusty's, & it;s pretty good,protects the exhaust to the cat, when combined w/ the transfer case skid. $.02

Thanks, looks like I'm in the market for some rockers.

Despite the fact that I bashed an oil pan at Paragon, I also think the rocker protection comes first. The oil pan was due to my being foolish enough to do what a spotter told me to do ... if I had turtsed my own instincts, it would not have happened.

Hey Kevin....rockers first. Might be a suitable project if you got a design....I had fitment problems with Rusty's engine skid and its currently with the rest of my spare parts (axles, etc..) and I have a front skid for ya too if you want it. Let me know. Makng it over today? Work starts in an hour!

P

Back