• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 lunch-box lockers

Prepmech

NAXJA Member #981
I have a '00 cherokee with a low pinion dana 30, 3.55 gears and 31" tires. I am trying to decide on which locker to buy. would a powertrax be any smoother than a lock-right when in two wheel drive, or would they act the same? I don't mind it being harsh on the trails, but need it to behave on the street. My second question is will I have to change the locker if I change gears. I would like to go to 33" tires and 4.56 gears when my 31's wear out, will the same locker for the 3.55's work on the new carrier?

The same locker will work with both carriers and you won't notice either one in 2wd, whether you have a disco or non-disco axle. A Detroit Soft-Locker or a Powertrax No-Slip will be smoother than an ez-locker, an aussie, or a lock-right when 4wd is engaged.

I have heard some bad stories about Powertrax lockers and I would research them a lot befor I put one in. Basically what I'm trying to say is that you get what you pay for. I understand that all lockers do mess up from time to time, whether it is from driver error, or bad installation, but I have heard more bad stuff about powertrax than any other locker.

my $0.02

I've had my Powertrax on for 2K miles and haven't had a problem. When the temperature got below 15* it made some noise first thing in the morning during a turn. After driving it a few mintues and the fluid got moving, it was quiet again. I haven't had any other problems with it, so far. I did some heavy research and decided to put the Powertrax in since I'm probably going to swap the 8.25 for a 44 end of this year or early next.

i run a no-slip front and rear. love it. yes you do get an ocasional clunk. I have heard all the horror stories about no-slips, lock-rights, detroits, Arb's, Eatons, and so on. in regards to the no-slip stories one person went thru 3 of them in one axle... if the first unit goes bad, its a fluke, if a second one goes bad, then something else is wrong. I am willing to bet that most of the stories about broken no-slips can be attributed to a bent axle housing which is the number one locker killer.

lock-rights are more noisy than the no-slip and they are prone to breaking the stock crosspin. fortunatly you can purchase a stronger crosspin that shouldn't break.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have a powertrax my rear axle and haven't had any problems with it. Would it be worth it to to pay a little more to get another powertrax for the front, or should I just get a lock right?

powertrax makes lockright, so do you mean limited slips?

Back