• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 changes??

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
What is different between the 35 and 35c? What parts are interchangeable? My roomate broke the gears in a 35c. I have a spare 35 in the back yard. All the spare has is gears in it. No outer brake asseymbly, no axles, no pinion yoke. Will the 35c pieces work on the 35? Thanks

MATT

Then you would just make the 35 a 35c. Why not just put the gears out of the 35 into the 35c. Not sure if they are interchangeable though so don't listen to me too carefully.

All Cherokee Dana 35 axles are 35c. The 'C' does not stand for c-clip, it stands for "Customer," which is a Dana way of identifying an axle that is shipped to the customer only partially built. The customer completes the assembly.

The XJ Dana 35 from 1984 through 1989 was a non-c-clip design. The axle shafts are held in place by a retaining plate that bolts to the flange on the outer end of the axle tube with 4 bolts. With this design, it is not necessary to open the differential to remove the shafts and replace the outer bearings.

The c-clip Dana 35 uses a c-clip on the inner end to retain the shaft. To remove a shaft, you must first remove the differential cover and disengage the c-clip from the end of the shaft.

Ring gears and pinion gears interchange between/among all years. I believe carriers interchange between/among all years. The spider gears are different in the c-clip axles, with a space machined to accept the c-clip.

Back