• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Axle Seal Replacement

PaulJ

NAXJA Forum User
To replace the axle seal on a D30, do I need to remove the carrier to do the job? I'm guessing that I do but the FSM seems a bit vague.

If the axle is a non-disconnect type you will need to pull the axles and the carrier because both of the seals are in the tubes on either side of the carrier. If it is a disconnect axle and you only need to replace the passenger side seal then you do not need to pull the carrier or even the diff cover. All you need to do is pull the pass. side axle shaft and the vacuum motor housing to gain access to the seal. The seal is on the outboard side of the vac.motor housing opening. If it is a disconnect axle and you need to replace the drivers side seal then you do need to pull the carrier, just as you would in the non-disconnect axle. What year is the XJ

There is a write up on www.madxj.com about changing to the 297 u joint for the axle shaft. There are lots of pictures and you can figure out what to do. You may want to see what it would cost to buy the right tool instead of home made version of the seal removed he used

This particular XJ is an '89 non-disco. Since I'm going be pulling out the carrier, I'll just replace both seals while I'm at it. Thanks

The tool that the fsm shows for non disco axles looks like a barrell nut with threaded rod on the ends and metal discs that attach to the threaded rod. You position it and turn the barrell nut to install the seal. If there is a tool you can buy from $napon or Mac I'd like to know how much it is.
BTW check you axle shafts, if they are scored where the seal is you will likely have a leaking problem again as it's worn around the seal area-thus no seal.

Back