• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rockrails choice

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
so, i know the question of, "Which brand/type/style of rockrail i should buy?" has amidst everyone's mind at some point... currently i at this same decision. i was looking at the four real steel rails, to match my rear bumper, but i was also looking at the custom 4x4 rails as well. cost doesn't matter to me. does anyone have the daystar "four real steel" rails? how do these mount to the XJ? Do they mount in a similar manner to the C4x4 rails? i like the tubular look on the rockrail, so if anyone knew of any other companies, holla. i would appreciate everyone's input, thanks

brandon

I just ordered a set of Kevin's Extreme Duty Rock Sliderz this past week, I like the idea that they stick out a bit so I can use them to get to the roof rack and they should help keep the doors a bit safer from damage. http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/ Everyone that I've talked to that has them and actually makes use of them swear by them, plus the price is pretty reasonable compared to the competition.
Mike B.

someone recently told me that the tubular guards aren't as strong as the square units. and that sometimes the rock gaurds with tube protection that covers part of the rocker area, may bend into the body and cause even more damage... i'll probably go with simple square designs, does anyone have any suggestions other than AJ's, Kevin's, or C4x4? how about rocky road outfitters?

ORGS are very beefy

shimmy said:
someone recently told me that the tubular guards aren't as strong as the square units. and that sometimes the rock gaurds with tube protection that covers part of the rocker area, may bend into the body and cause even more damage... i'll probably go with simple square designs, does anyone have any suggestions other than AJ's, Kevin's, or C4x4? how about rocky road outfitters?

Yes, I agree with 93XJMark, kill 2 birds with one stone! Had I not JUST Herculined and installed my new C4x4 double-tube rock rails :doh: , I'd be all over this! I still have to put on a unibody stiffener!
BLUTO

shouldn`t any rockrail add structure and rigidity to the chassis......i haven`t ordered mine yet(aj`s superrails......hes not makin any for another month or so)....but i figured any rail that mounted to the "frame" in a few places and the pinch weld in a few others would help ...

xjhm said:
shouldn`t any rockrail add structure and rigidity to the chassis......i haven`t ordered mine yet(aj`s superrails......hes not makin any for another month or so)....but i figured any rail that mounted to the "frame" in a few places and the pinch weld in a few others would help ...

It is not as thorough as say T & J Manufacturing's "JeepSpeed" type tubular unibody stiffener. Tube (square or round) is less likely to twist than angle iron. In this scenerio, you have the best of both worlds...a full tie-in of pinch seam AND "frame". With any rock rail, you usually drill and bolt thru the pinch seam and then bolt the extension arms to the "frame rail". The rail can still twist between the extension arms.
BLUTO

bburge said:
My Rocky Road Step Side rock rails flxed enough from a couple hard landings in Moab to rise up and dent the quarter panels.

bburge

did you tell rocky road, because they claim these rails won't bend. thanks for the helpful insight. i guess the search continues... the ORGs super nerfs look decent!

brandon

generaly speaking tubing is more prone to denting then square, but there are ways to overcome this. Thicker wall, bigger diameter, ect.

If I wasn't having mine cut out then I would probably go ORGS.

http://rigidco.com/RR22x.htm

I took a look at some of these right at rigidco's shop in Salt Lake City. They look pretty beefy and give up less ground clearance than any other rail that I have seen yet. I'm picking up mine tomorrow evening for $175. The owner, Terry, is a heck of a nice guy. But beware, he'll talk your ear off... :callme:

BTW - he recently redesigned them to include a fully skidplated bottom to keep you from getting hung up on rocks.

Jared

For those of us lucky enough to live in the N.E. and are able to make the
Wrights Farm Chick'in M&G....There will be 1 if not 2 XJs there running the
Detours XJ Unibodystiffy system with Rokrails for your inspection......A further
product line is in the works based off of this system......Watch the web for up
dated pics and info.!!

This is a recording....................................................................... :spin1:

Back