• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ D44 swap into MJ

LBJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have an extra XJ D44 that I want to put into my 87 MJ. Are they the same width? Also will I need to change prop. valve or anything else? The D44 is out of an 87 XJ also.

Plan on mounting it with the perches set up for a XJ. Should I be looking for any complications. Probably put a set of three inch springs up front to balance it out.

LBJ said:
Plan on mounting it with the perches set up for a XJ. Should I be looking for any complications. Probably put a set of three inch springs up front to balance it out.
Yeah, the complication is the perches are a different width center to center for MJs and XJs. Also, we have both our shocks on the same side of the axle (front?), XJs have their shocks mounted one in front, one on back.
Also, you're going springover? Are you still sprungunder now? You're going to get more than 3" of lift with a springover. More like 5" at least.

Well the MJ shock mounts (in SUA stock form) are on the spring clamp plates...

When I swapped my MJ axle over to SOA, I first tried using those stock shox mounts...on opposite sides (so they were on top, aimed forward) WAY too short...

So I added a pair of RE 'generic' shock mounts welded to the front of the tubes in line with and using the OEM upper mounts. This setup worked really well.

Maybe better to find someone with an MJ44 housing that wants an XJ housing and would swap with ya. (hint hint ;) ) unless your housing is already built inside.

Back