• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick ? on 1994 XJ Specs

sevensandeights

NAXJA Forum User
I was referred to this forum from another forum and I will admit up front that I have 2 CJ's and no XJ's. I am going to pick up a 4.0L engine out of 1994 XJ at a junkyard tomorrow to swap into my 1981 Scrambler (currently has I6 258 and TF904 auto). I would also like to take the tranny out of the XJ but have three and half quick questions about this model year. I did some research and just want to confirm with the experts (that's you guys!):

1.) The tranny should be an AW4, right?

2.) The output should be 23 splines and therefore will bolt up my Dana 300 t-case with just a clocking ring from Novak, right?

3.) Is the tranny computer controlled? If so, what do I need from the donor engine (I am already getting the complete engine harnesss, PDC, and ECM)?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. This site is put together very well. Several people referred me to it and now I can see why!

1.) If its an atx then yes its an aw4

2.) it is a 23spl output...not sure on the compat with the 300 though...

3.) Not to my knowledge no

Yes, the AW4 *IS* computer controlled. The box is up underneath the dash someplace, and you'll want the wiring harness, too. Can't help you farther, I drive a stick.

ChiXJeff said:
Yes, the AW4 *IS* computer controlled. The box is up underneath the dash someplace, and you'll want the wiring harness, too. Can't help you farther, I drive a stick.

I believe that on a 1994, as an OBDII computor system, the transmission control module (TCM) is integrated into the ECM. I know when I replaced the ECM on my 91 (OBDI) there were different part #'s for auto v. manual. So I think you've got the tranny control with the ECM -- make sure you get any necessary wiring to the tranny. Anyone know for sure??...

xj-grin said:
I believe that on a 1994, as an OBDII computor system, the transmission control module (TCM) is integrated into the ECM. I know when I replaced the ECM on my 91 (OBDI) there were different part #'s for auto v. manual. So I think you've got the tranny control with the ECM -- make sure you get any necessary wiring to the tranny. Anyone know for sure??...

A 94 is an OBD-I system. OBD-II started in 95.

ChiXJeff said:
A 94 is an OBD-I system. OBD-II started in 95.

Correct. OBD-II started in model year 1996. On a '94 the TCU should be under the dashboard on the passenger side. The transmission can be driven without it and shifted manually, but doing that loses either first or second gear (don't recall which).

Thanks for the replies. Bad news though, I guess the AW4 is quite a bit longer than my TF904 so the cost of new driveshafts has discouraged me from this swap. I also have column shift and my kick down linkage attaches to the throttle cable at the carburetor. This would be another dilema for the swap. I have switched directions and am now looking for a TF999 or I will just keep my tranny and relocate the CPS.

Thanks again!

Back