• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New bolts when reinstalling ring gear?

spaulman

NAXJA Member #769
I am considering putting the Aussie locker in my D30 this weekend. I read somewhere that when you pull the carrier and remove the ring gear that new ring gear bolts should be used upon reassembly. Is this necessary? If so, what kind of bolts should be used - grade 5, grade 8, something else?

spaulman said:
I am considering putting the Aussie locker in my D30 this weekend. I read somewhere that when you pull the carrier and remove the ring gear that new ring gear bolts should be used upon reassembly. Is this necessary? If so, what kind of bolts should be used - grade 5, grade 8, something else?

In an ideal world yes.

In the every day world, don't worry about it. Clean the old bolts with brake cleaner, let them dry hit them with new locktite, torque to 55 ft/lbs and you are good to go.

You're going to break something else in the 30 before your ring gear bolts fail.

CRASH

CRASH said:
In an ideal world yes.

In the every day world, don't worry about it. Clean the old bolts with brake cleaner, let them dry hit them with new locktite, torque to 55 ft/lbs and you are good to go.

You're going to break something else in the 30 before your ring gear bolts fail.

CRASH

ditto.

R&P's usually come with new bolts anyway, why not use them?

but really, theres no way to judge the condition or quality of the new bolts over the ones you already have.....

your choice i suppose.

Back