• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The most annoying "tink"!

dwhiddon

NAXJA Forum User
I have the most annoying noise coming from my front end. It is a loud "tink", not a pop. It happens when I back up and then hit the brakes and then again when i start forward and hit the brakes. It will also do it in 4wd if I hit the gas and again when I let off. Its seems like the axle must be shifting front to back. I have rusty's 4.5 inch lift with fixed lower arms and stock uppers. Everything is as tight as I can get it. I think it could be the coils or control arms. I strapped it between two trees and had a friend rock it back and forth, and the only movement was with a good bit of throttle then it looks like whole axle twists a little. I am so frustrated. Any Ideas? I have a video I might be able to email where you can hear it if it would help.

I have that exact same tink, But I have an 8.5 long arm, the only thing that I can figure out is that the axel wants to wrap but every thing is fighting to keep it stationary, it transfers the twist to the steering linkage causing the tink... Dont quote me, thats just the only thing that I can think of.. The only thing different is that mine is only in reverse and brakes applied...

I am running the Rusty's 4.5 lift too. I had a "pop" when braking too. :huh: I think my noise was related to the shocks in the kit.

I had some movement between the shocks and OEM bar pins. The BPEs preload the bushings. I could move the shocks with my hand.

I added JKS BPEs (bar pin eliminators). They have only been installed a week so cannot comment too much. (I'm getting tires and an alignment today.) :greensmok But it seems to have eliminated the noise. ;)

Go to the JKS's web and read the info. It might solve your issue. ;)

Back