• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This looks like it could work!!

REDXJ4FUN said:
That could work you can also get a late modle theromstat housing that has the sensor in it.

Hot water is hot water. It'll work fine. I would probably make sure to put it on the line coming directly out of the block, not the return.

burntkat said:
Hot water is hot water. It'll work fine. I would probably make sure to put it on the line coming directly out of the block, not the return.

That would be ideal, but the sensor in the head only provides data for the gauge on the instrument cluster, and they aren't 100% accurate anyway. Put it anywhere that's easiest, and use the temp gauge as a baseline. Wherever it normally runs will be "normal," and if it suddenly runs significantly hotter or colder you know something's amiss.

Yes, this is replacing the broken one in the head. I already have a new one in the tstat for the cpu. This will be wired to a new guage(hopefully in a pillar pod). I was looking for an alternative mounting place for the gauge since there are no other ports in the head. I'm just wondering if it'll weaken the hose at all. Doubt it, but never know.

The only problem that I can see with that is that it gives you the "coolant" temp. If you have a t-stat problem it may go unnoticed, as the coolant temp would still be acceptable.

When I installed my 97 motor the head had so spot for the coolant sensor. I took a spare tstat housing and drilled/tapped a hole in it for the sensor. Now my gauge fluctuates between 170 and 210ish(just a hair past 200) so I average it and say I'm running between 190 and 200. BTW the sensor is lined up with the return line from the heater hose which accounts for the fluctuation. I can send a pic tomorrow if anyone wants one.

Neil said:
The only problem that I can see with that is that it gives you the "coolant" temp. If you have a t-stat problem it may go unnoticed, as the coolant temp would still be acceptable.

Isn't that the point of the stock one? I understand it'll be alittle warmer there in the rear water jacket, but if I put it on the lower hose, running from the block to the waterpump, the degree of variance should be minimal than from the stock position. If the tstat stays closed and the coolant just keeps circling the block picking up more and more heat, the sensor will detect it. I'm still waiting for a response from this company. Noticed they're Japanese. Just curious to see how much it costs.

asatxj, please send me a pic. Where does the 97+ get it's coolant reading from for the guage then? Is there a stock tstat housing that I could put on from a later model on my 92 that would incorporate both sensors? Also, if I do end up using the same stock sensor(new one that is), how can I lengthen the wire to the new location? I know it grounds to the block, so I'd be alittle lost.

It just looks like it goes between the block and the rad. if you put it between the pump and the block you should be fine.

I'm sorry,I didn't bring the cable for my camera to school. I'll take the pic tonight and post it. The 97 gets the feed for the gauge from the sensor on the tsat housing. Pic to follwo

asatxj said:
I'm sorry,I didn't bring the cable for my camera to school. I'll take the pic tonight and post it. The 97 gets the feed for the gauge from the sensor on the tsat housing. Pic to follwo

Ok, you used a late model tstat housing then. How'd you lengthen the existing connector up the tstat housing? No problem w/ the pic. Just let me know whenever you get one up.

All I did was to cut the connector off with about 6in of a tail and solder a length of wire in between end and the connector. It runs under the EFI wiring rught up to the housing. Shoot, How do I post a pic now? Haven't done it in ages!

asatxj said:
All I did was to cut the connector off with about 6in of a tail and solder a length of wire in between end and the connector. It runs under the EFI wiring rught up to the housing. Shoot, How do I post a pic now? Haven't done it in ages!

I see. Ya pics are a pain. Just post the link you got them on whenever u get a chance. Or just send them to [email protected]. So are your running a 97+ head then? I'm beginning to think a tstat housing from the newer years(which incorporate both sensors) will not fit my 92. I'm reluctant to drill and tap a cast iron POS,lol. Already broke two!

My entire engine is '97. The tstat housing is easy to drill and tap. I'll send you the pic later. Don't even try and drill the head. I talked with a company that specializes in 4.0's and he said that it can be done but it's quite difficult without a drill press. He said it needs to go in on a 5* angle. Good luck ebyeballing that one!!
The Tstat housing was the only modification I had to make wiring wise, I just swapped all the sensors on the intake manifold. I did have some tweaking to do to get the PS pump on but it wasn't bad.

5Cent said:
I see. Ya pics are a pain. Just post the link you got them on whenever u get a chance. Or just send them to [email protected]. So are your running a 97+ head then? I'm beginning to think a tstat housing from the newer years(which incorporate both sensors) will not fit my 92. I'm reluctant to drill and tap a cast iron POS,lol. Already broke two!
You have a pic on your email!

One more thing. The Tstat housing on my 91 motor and the one on my 97 motor are identical so apparently if it's between those years (maybe more) they will interchange.

Back