• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freakin blow-by/oil loss is outta control

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a slight problem I have oil in my air filter. and on the unibody and on the shock and on the lower control arms and on the axle and on the ground.
Its everywhere its like a damn fountain out of the airbox. I can part the jeep at work at 8am and by 10am there is a puddle about 12" around of oil under it. What the crap. Where can I pick up a new valve cover or pcv valves or both. I have cleaned mine before but now I just want new. Thanks.
DIG IT

oh its a 4.0 no output.

http://www.jeepnorthwest.com/tech/valvecover/valvecover.html

There is also a link to another art. on the subject with part numbers. That does sound like a lot of oil coming out. Make sure you don't have a valve cover leak or main seal leak, maybe the oil filter neck is leaking as well. Something to check out. Juice

If she's spitting that much out. There is the possibility of a compression problem. broken seal alowing the engine compression up into the valve cover area and blowing more than the normal amount of oil out the breather.

Check for blockage on the rear CCV Valve. If that one can't breath, than more pressure is created on the front valve.

all the oil is deffinately coming out of the air box.
I really just need to know where to get a new ccv valves.

go to a dealer and get the tube that goes from the back of the valve cover to the manifold, also with the engine running pull the end out of the valve cover, check to make sure you have suction on it. if that doesn't at least seriously reduce it, it sounds like you need to re-ring the pistons or do a full rebuild

I have suction at the hose where it goes into the valve cover and also on the manifold (of course).
When I pull the line off there is a vaccume on the line but the engine still runs the same as when it was on the valve cover but when I pull the line off of the intake manifold it bogs down and tries to die due to vaccume leak.
Shouldn't it do that even when I pull it off the valve cover also?

don't mean to highjack this thread, but would this kind of thing also cause high oil pressure?

I get a bit of oil around the rear end of the valve cover and have pressure that is generally 60-80. I was just going to replace the valve cover gasket, but after reading this I'm thinking the CCV and vacum lines need it too. Will that have any effect on oil pressure?

oh man that reminds me my oil pressure is running about 20 or less it used to always run 40 on the nose. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit just routine maint. right before the big oil blow by problem started. I am going to get a new sending unit today. Could this cause it?

Coach, a CCV problem shouldn't have an effect on oil pressure. I would take a look at the connection to the sender unit, or the sender itself.

Bucky, the larger hose is an intake hose for the CCV system and it dosen't affect the engine speed if it's removed. The smaller hose is the one that pulls the crankcase gases into the intake. It sounds like this hose is restricted somehow. Or maybe there's a blockage inside the valve cover where it connects? If it's restricted, pressure will build up in the crankcase and valve cover and spit oil out the bigger hose into the filter housing.

My local Kragen carries the CCV tub and both halves of the vacuum harness for Cherokees. The ccv tube is 9.99 and the other two pieces are 18.99 a piece.

Kenny

Dealer ship said like $80 for all the vaccume lines up there. I thought it would be cheaper so which ones should I deffinately replace?

Cleaning the CCV Vac. Tube

Look, don't worry about buying all that stuff just yet. The previous poster talking about the small tube from the intake to the back of the valve cover is right. Get some "Gun Scrubber" or carb solvent in an aeresol can. Take the tube off. Get the little extension straw on the can and stick it up the tube. Blast it! Use half the can. Shield your eyes. Grab an 18 Ga. wire (Speaker wire) and thread it slowly into the tube and work it back and forth until you get it all the way through from end to end. Work it good and blast the tube out again. You will get all kinds of gunk out of the tube. Shake all the solvent out and reistall the end that goes onto the intake. Check for vacuum at the other end. If the vac. is still weak. Repeat the process. Only replace components if they are soft or cracked. I do the above every 10-20K miles and my blowby problem is over. The large tube integrity does not affect the quantity of blow-by, but if it goes bad, you will get dirt in the valve cover. Simply inspect it and replace if it shows damage.

Back