• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D60?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Are all D60's perty much the same? Or are there some that should be avoided? Edumicate me!

It depends are you looking for one for the front or the rear? If you are looking for one for the front there are some big differences between the older ones and the newer ones. If you are looking for one for the rear you need to make sure that you don't get a dana 61. They went in ford pickups for a while and are identical to 60's in apprence but different internally. I don't know a whole lot about 61's but i know that parts are impossible to find and that you don't want one.

let us know some more specifics and maybe we can answer your question better.

HTH

Jerm S.

the older 60's have like 19 spline shafts. although still a dana 60, these should be avoided

My bad I meant to say it was a rear. And it is from a 69 or so F250 we think. It had 16 spline shafts.

Ghost said:
My bad I meant to say it was a rear. And it is from a 69 or so F250 we think. It had 16 spline shafts.
16-spline shafts? Unless you plan to do a lot to this axle including upgrading the shafts I'd say keep your eyes out for a beefier version. That link listed by tkm has some great D60 info for the front axle. I'm looking through the rest of it to see if they have a similar rear axle D60 page.

Last edited:
now, although 16 spline shafts will never work for """"extreme rockcrawling buggies"""", they work just fine. a friend of mine who has a 16 spline 60 under his yj with 40's has had no problem with it after a year....and he is definitely right footed!!!

for a graund clearence and streignth isue I wouldnt bouther with a 16 spline d60 go with a 30 or 35 spline d60. a d44 or gm 14 bolt or even a ford 9"

This was for a friends YJ. He runs 33's right now but will probalby go to 35's when he can. This was a cheap axle around here. The yards want big $$$$ for parts. We pulled one of the shafts yesterday b4 loading it in his XJ. It may only be 16 splines but is quite large. Glade to here that about your friend Small Pederson. He will eventually upgrade it but right now he needs something stronger than the 35 in there right now.

Back