• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:88x3:55

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
As many of you know, I kinda screwed up my rear gears. I'm getting 4:88's for the rear, but I won't be able to afford to regear the front for a while. I have a 242 t-case, do I need to remove my front drive shaft? TIA Neil

If you just keep it in 2wd at all times until you regear the front you should be fine. Actually, I believe full-time 4x4 just adds a differential in the TC so the front and rear can differentiate, so theoritically you could run it in full-time 4x4 or 2wd, but definitely not 4Low or 4High. I would just keep it in 2wd until you regear though. No need to remove the shaft.

I *think* the differential in the 242 is more like a Limited Slip, but either way I would not reccomend putting it in full-time 4x4.

I pulled the front shaft on mine after swapping axles with different gears, mainly because I didn't want to run the risk of someone else driving it and throwing it in 4x4.

4.88 and 3.55 is too much of a difference for the np242 to make up for. Pull the D-shaft so your not tempted to try it and have at er.

Back