• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange Steering Clunk

JoeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finaly got my XJ going after a year long build up and everything is working great! I couldn't be happier, BUT my steering is making some damn strange noises. It's not a stock steering setup, it's got heims all the way around with a big drop pitman arm, here's a pic:

http://www.dontmakemehurtyou.com/Jeep/Images/First_Time/DCP_0182.jpg

The steering itself works great! It turns nice and smooth with no bumpsteer or anyother bad things, besides a little bit of slop in the wheel.

The "Clunk" happens when ever I change direction with me turning the steering wheel 1" then it goes away until I turn the sheel the other direction. I'm thinking there may be something wrong with my steering box, but I can't really feel the cluck through the steering wheel, so i'm not entirely sure. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

-Joe S.

I'd have a buddy turn your wheel while you lay under the front end seeing if anything rubs or hits while the linkage moves. Plus you should be able to isolate the location of the clunk better.

Is your sway bar still there? I had a bud whose truck did that too, it was his sway clunking from being loose when the weight of the vehicle shifted from side to side, it would clunk.

check to see if your steering linkage rod is hitting your passenger side disconnect bracket on the axle. Mine does, just put on a 5.5" RE and it starting the same thing. Also bumps on the steering stabilizer base.

david.

check your track bar where at both mounting areas they could be loose and when you 1st turn left or right it makes a knocking noise. have someone turn the wheel back and forth and lay underneath it and you prabably can see where its loose.

PS nice looking jeep

I'm betting your track bar bracket or your steering box mounting bolts are loose.

Either that, or the frame is cracked right near the steering gear.

CRASH

if you think its you steering box first check your u joints in your steering shaft if its not them pull up and down on your steering shaft by your steering box if there more than like a 1/8 play then your sector/steering gear shaft may be loose, it also could be your steering rod end were the pitman arm attaches to your steering arm if there any up and down play that usually mean it bad

crjeeper said:
check to see if your steering linkage rod is hitting your passenger side disconnect bracket on the axle. Mine does, just put on a 5.5" RE and it starting the same thing. Also bumps on the steering stabilizer base.

david.
Mine is doing the same thing...the steering stabilizer is hitting the disconnect bracket on passenger side and making a loud pop when I turn both ways... What can I do to fix this? thanks for any info you can give me!

EZridaz said:
Mine is doing the same thing...the steering stabilizer is hitting the disconnect bracket on passenger side and making a loud pop when I turn both ways... What can I do to fix this? thanks for any info you can give me!
Are you suppose to have about an inch play in your tie-rod and drag link...I was under there today and I could rotate it about an inch back and forth?

i would have to say the noise you are hearing is from the slop in the Hiem joints and if it's not that then the track bar mounts are loose.have a friend turn the steering wheel left to right quickly while you watch and see what moves

Wil Badger said:
i would have to say the noise you are hearing is from the slop in the Hiem joints and if it's not that then the track bar mounts are loose.have a friend turn the steering wheel left to right quickly while you watch and see what moves
When I was under there looking I saw that the pin in the quick disconnect was bent and the bottom of the disconnect is starting to get a groove grinded into it by the end of the steering stabilizer and that the steering stabilizer is hitting the disconnect bracket at the bottom....none of this happened before I put on the RE 5.5 lift.....is there anyway to get around this or try to go with a new tie-rod setup or high knuckle?Thanks for any info y'all can give me!!

bryanv said:
if you think its you steering box first check your u joints in your steering shaft

x2

one of mine was siezed up in one axis, it hit the body and made a clunk.

Back