• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear door stationary window replacement

Canoman

NAXJA Forum User
Well, a couple of weeks ago, some people broke into my XJ by busting out the drivers' side rear door stationary glass. I made a make-shift cover using duct-tape and bondo self-adhesive body panels. I found a replacement window at a salvage yard, but when the guy tore it out of the Cherokee they had there, he bent the black, rubber-covered edging that goes in between the stationary window and the sliding window all up. So I took the bent piece off of the window and cut the glue off of the window so now all I have is a piece of glass.

I still have this piece on mine and it has part of the glass that didn't fall out still in it. I'd like to be able to install the window into that trim piece if possible. I guess I'll have to figure out some kind of glue to use to keep it in place, but the main thing I'm concerned about is getting the glue out of the good part.

Anyone have any tips? Anyone know what kind of glue I should use to keep the glass in that trim piece? Anyone know how I can get the glue out of the trim piece without bending it all to h3ll?:helpme:

it sucks man, sorry for your loss, same exact situation happened to me on the rear passenger stationary window but the insurance should cover ya, mine covered me for 100%, didnt pay a dime, but they screwed me over for the items in my jeep :flamemad:

I don't think it separate, it is bonded as one piece to the metal strip that is attached to your glass... according to the window replacement dude who fixed my jeep. could you get another one from the dude who sold that to ya? the one you got maybe ruined

here is my post: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16195&highlight=broke

good luck

dogtired said:
it sucks man, sorry for your loss, same exact situation happened to me on the rear passenger stationary window but the insurance should cover ya, mine covered me for 100%

Yeah, I'd read your post. That really sucks.

:flamemad:

Sounds like you might have had more taken. I lost my somewhat high-end Alpine and my 12" Infinity Kappa sub. I'm glad I had the amp hidden well and that they didn't try to steal my Kappa component sets up front.

Well, this place only had one 97+ Cherokee, so he won't have another. I got it for $35, which is a ton better than the $197 that the dealership wanted to charge me. I really hope it's not ruined. Another salvage place that has quite a few older XJ's said he could order me a new one for $85. Was hoping to make it out cheaper than that too after finding the part for $35.

Insurance won't cover mine because I lowered my coverage to liability only on the XJ when I bought my new '03 Mach-1 Mustang.

As far as getting the old adhesive out, maybe a small blade and a lot of patience (understand I don't know what kind of adhesive it is, but this works for most rubber-type adhesives). Then I would head to a body-shop supply or auto glass company and ask them what to use. Quite likely it is a urethane adhesive that you can buy from them or Autozone. I haven't done this since replacing the rear glass on an old Malibu station wagon, but it all worked out without buying the parts from the dealer.

One alternative is to return the glass you have to the boneyard since they messed it up to the point that it won't work, and then try to locate another that isn't a victim of some ham-handed dismantler. ( I just re-read your post and assume this isn't possible anymore since you took it further apart) I recently bought a complete '90 door for under $100, so maybe that is another alternative - take the parts you need and try to part out the rest to recover some coin.

Good Luck

Back