• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Florida Wheeling

itzak

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys
My Wife wants to relocate to the Orlando Florida area . So I thought I'd find out what Wheeling is like down there. I now live in Utah so I'm used to Moab and our moutains.
Thanks
Itzak

It sucks! There is no where besides some small sand dunes, and long flat powerline trails with brackish water that will tear your rig up!

Mud, Mud, And more mud! And if you think 38's are a big tire the guys where I lived ran 44's reguarly. And if that was not big enough they ran tractor tires. Oh yea and some sand.

We have a mudhole that got named "Driveshaft Alley" i saw 6 get lost in it one saturday afternoon...they keep a bulldozer handy to pull people out!! You can take a hop to Ocala and scoot around in the national forest...but it ain't wheelin' as you know it...mud and sand...if you find a real rock...somebody imported it...but you can access some dern good bass fishing in those little out of the way pothole lakes.

Hi. My names yellowxj. I'm in Ocala about an hour north of Orlando. Good terrain is hard to find and more difficult to keep open. For tough non-mud/sand trails you mostly leave the state.
fa1c1bbf.jpg

"Playing in the national forest can get you a ticket, playing in the wildlife management areas can get you a ticket. Official club rides are carefully planned to keep the clubs out of trouble. Kind of sad I ride on the same 100 acre every weekend just about. The pit is some of the more challenging terrain in the state. Some challenging climbs, twisties, limerock obstacles, not much but good practice for going some where else. Mostly you get a lot of jeep socializing. Clubs here plan many events and trips so there is almost always some thing to do. Not what your used to. Tellico is a good 8-10 hour drive north. Not bad. Cant go wrong with the orlando jeep club.

yellowxj said:
Hi. My names yellowxj. I'm in Ocala about an hour north of Orlando. Good terrain is hard to find and more difficult to keep open. For tough non-mud/sand trails you mostly leave the state.
fa1c1bbf.jpg

"Playing in the national forest can get you a ticket, playing in the wildlife management areas can get you a ticket. Official club rides are carefully planned to keep the clubs out of trouble. Kind of sad I ride on the same 100 acre every weekend just about. The pit is some of the more challenging terrain in the state. Some challenging climbs, twisties, limerock obstacles, not much but good practice for going some where else. Mostly you get a lot of jeep socializing. Clubs here plan many events and trips so there is almost always some thing to do. Not what your used to. Tellico is a good 8-10 hour drive north. Not bad. Cant go wrong with the orlando jeep club.

Hey yellowxj!

Ghost mentioned ya from a previous (last message on bottom) post located here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16404
He said you might be able to or know someone who does 2wd to 4wd conversions. I am just thinking about it and see how expensive and how hard it actually is.

Thanks for the input and stuff on Florida terrain, I am a total newbie to offroading, still haven't gotten a chance to drive on an offroad trail yet. My 2000 2wd 4dr XJ is just a daily driver and is slightly modified, just air intake and exhaust. Planning to install a front hitch to meet the club's requirements on getting a towing point for front and rear among other stuff. :)

Hope to meet ya sometime soon, heard the club is gonna go up to Ocala in the near future, not sure when. I've been there before for mountain biking though.

regards,

dogtired

Man, would someone get a picture of his wife in there please! J/K Yellow! Is that a rolled XJ in Florida? The only place I ever saw anything roll was the sand dunes! Oh yea and the only rocks down there are imported for landscaping reasons! LOL!

xj flop....
Just one trail in the pit, wouldnt even consider them trails by other state standards but just like tiny florida deer we have tiny florida trails. Its a good place to ride and if you can "justify" rolling your 4x in florida this may be one of the only places to do it. Its kinda like a practice area for tellico...oh yah...and I'm gonna hava a blast on the crawl this year.

Yea me too! I actually have a good running engine! I'm excited and its 6 months away!

hmm if you're a newbie to offroading then I think the pit will offer plenty of challenges...hehe it even tends to give the ol' experts problems every now and then...hehehehe...but like travis said its not rocky mtn. climbing by any means...I believe a group of people are goin up there this sunday if you'd like to get your feet wet...

-John

You talking to me Tampa? Ask Yellow about the Crawl last year! LOL! I still have that broken shaft Yellow. The stubb was so nice it's the perfect paper weight now! LOL! As for new not even. I use to BaJa the fruit groves in Indian River County in HS. And that was in a 79 F150 that was bigger than my 02 Super Crew! Not to mention burrying it in the sand dunes several times and on the beach :dunno: Then there was the 97 TJ I had that always seemed to find the Big mud pits down there too. The only newbie to offroading for me is rocks. :scared:

no harm meant...i guess i misunderstood your post... all I meant was that if you havent done a lot of rock/hill climbing the pit would offer you a variety of difficulties for you to test your rig on...there are trails that even stock guys can get up to trails that make even locked and lifted guys quiver....

No harm taken! Just givin you a hard time!

Tampa_XJ said:
hmm if you're a newbie to offroading then I think the pit will offer plenty of challenges...hehe it even tends to give the ol' experts problems every now and then...hehehehe...but like travis said its not rocky mtn. climbing by any means...I believe a group of people are goin up there this sunday if you'd like to get your feet wet...

-John

I guess anything would be a challenge for me, especially if I only have 2wd, just got my front hitch, so I will probably install this weekend. You guys better have yer winches ready, cause I know will get stuck! :laugh3:

hehe eh yeah i figured as much, but just thought I'd cover my tail!!! :spin1: well hopefully i'll be seeing you soon out on the trails...

-John

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm just checking things out I'll let you know if we decide to come down. My Avatar is my junk comming down White Knuckle Hill in Moab. You think real hard about it then just do it. Xj's make it easy 101 in wheelbase.

Itzak :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

Hey could yah give me directions...i might make it up there one of these days. Ocala is only about 75 miles north of me. I'll bring a cooler full of cold ones and i won't get offended if anybody laughs at my junk.

Steve

MudDawg said:
Hey could yah give me directions...i might make it up there one of these days. Ocala is only about 75 miles north of me. I'll bring a cooler full of cold ones and i won't get offended if anybody laughs at my junk.

Steve

hey dawg, I promise I won't laugh at yer heap, if you don't laugh at me for gettin a 2wd! :doh: deal? :viking:

us "dogs" gotta stick together! :patriot:

Back