• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t-case drop (help)

buster

NAXJA Forum User
While looking things over to install a t-case drop I remembered I dont know how to remove the 2 studs holding half of the x-member up. Any tips or tools I will need? I'm using 1" stock and longer bolts to do this, $8, cheapest fix yet.

Thanks
Buster

You can use two nuts the size of the stud and lock them together, then use a wrench on the nut close to the frame. Or the easiest way is to use a pair of visegrips to remove the studs, then throw them away!

If the 2 nuts don't work, weld one on. I've tried vice grips without any success a couple of times now.

buster said:
While looking things over to install a t-case drop I remembered I dont know how to remove the 2 studs holding half of the x-member up. Any tips or tools I will need? I'm using 1" stock and longer bolts to do this, $8, cheapest fix yet.

Thanks
Buster
:cheers:
I'm in the same boat. Did the 2 nut thing. That just stipped the stud. Tried the vice-grips and that didn't work either. I don't have a welder or access to one, so what to do now?

I used two pair of vise grips. Tighten the first pair on the stud as tight as you can and then use the second pair to tighten the adjustment nut on the vise grips attached to the stud as tight as you can. Using a hammer on the adjustment arm of the vise grips and tap to loosen. This approach worked great when I installed mine.

I was able to remove one of the studs using two nuts, but the other one wouldn't budge. I ended up taking it to my local Jeep dealer and they took it out for free.

I actually turned mine slightly to tighten it and then gave it a light whack with the mini-BFH. It came out pretty well after that. Don't overdo it with the hammer though or you'll drive the nutserts right into the frame...

Just put the other bolts on, drive it to the local 4x4 shop and have them weld the nut on. Mine did it for free, but if they were to charge I can't imagine them charging more than $5. They should do it while you wait. You're putting way too much thought into this. Everybody that's posted here has already gone through the thought process and/or the experience and mostly come up with:

1. Double-nut
2. Vice grips
3. Weld a nut on

I used a 10" pipewrench on the studs. They came loose without a problem. A pipewrench with a good set of jaws will bite deeper than a vise-grip.

Mike

Back