• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Stabilizer/Shocks

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
What's a good steering stablizer to get for the money. I don't want a cheapie, but I don't want to spend $5000 either. :) Also, for a smooth ride, what shocks would be good, I was thinking about Edelbrock. I'm going to be putting in a RE 3" lift eventually, so that's when I'll get them. This is kind of a continuation of my 93XJ Road Manners post, I know I shouldn't start a new thread for the same thing, but it's a little different.
Thanks,
Mike

Steering stabilizers, really don´t help much, keeping the vehicle going in a straight line. They do help bumps and road surface changes being transmited back through to the steering wheel. More noticeable with taller tires. Unless they show signs of leaking, I don´t mess with them much.
Maybe if we could figure out what type of shock you have, (go look at the side and read the stampings), we could recommend something a little softer. Have heard good things about Doetch tech. Near stock spec.s but off road worthy. Gas shocks are mostly some stiffer. My Koni´s are valved to help with sway, compress a bit slower, rebound slower. Can get some wheel hop under the right conditions, but fairly predictable. Not harsh, but solid. Of course if the vehicle isn´t swaying much, the passenger most likely is, if he´s not used to it. Never tried Edelbrock shocks.
If your not used to a high center of gravity, that side to side motion can be strange. Gets worse with a lift and/or tall tires with flexible side walls. But XJ´s are most always better than YJ´s. A YJ will work on you a bit and rock you real good.
The top joint on the trac-bar? Trac bar play can often be heard, when someone is turning the steering wheel, a couple of inches left and right, and another has his ear, near the top trac bar joint. It clicks. Sometimes hard to see or feel. Doesn´t take much play to make the Jeep wander some.

8Mud said:
Steering stabilizers, really don´t help much, keeping the vehicle going in a straight line. They do help bumps and road surface changes being transmited back through to the steering wheel. More noticeable with taller tires. Unless they show signs of leaking, I don´t mess with them much.
Maybe if we could figure out what type of shock you have, (go look at the side and read the stampings), we could recommend something a little softer. Have heard good things about Doetch tech. Near stock spec.s but off road worthy. Gas shocks are mostly some stiffer. My Koni´s are valved to help with sway, compress a bit slower, rebound slower. Can get some wheel hop under the right conditions, but fairly predictable. Not harsh, but solid. Of course if the vehicle isn´t swaying much, the passenger most likely is, if he´s not used to it. Never tried Edelbrock shocks.
If your not used to a high center of gravity, that side to side motion can be strange. Gets worse with a lift and/or tall tires with flexible side walls. But XJ´s are most always better than YJ´s. A YJ will work on you a bit and rock you real good.
The top joint on the trac-bar? Trac bar play can often be heard, when someone is turning the steering wheel, a couple of inches left and right, and another has his ear, near the top trac bar joint. It clicks. Sometimes hard to see or feel. Doesn´t take much play to make the Jeep wander some.
I can't remember the name but I only paid $17 a piece for them at O'Reillys when I bought it last year. I checked out everything on the front end including the track bar and it's all good and tight. I'm leaning towards the springs. Besides, the wife doesn't like the side to side swaying either, and replacing the springs gives me a good excuse to go ahead with the lift. :)
Mike

Back