• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Lock-Right question

Ralph

NAXJA Member #149
I've got a Lock-Right in my front non-disco D30. The 4 tires on my rig are almost worn out. My spare tire is brand new. I had a blow out Friday and replaced one of the front worn tires with my new spare. I know not to put the vehicle in 4wd with the mixed size tires. The question is, will running in 2wd damage the locker over time? I want to replace all my tires with a larger size and it may be a week or two before I get new tires.

Thanks,
RR3

Well,theoretically speeking,yes,it could damage it,but it probably won't. It will,however,cause more wear on the teeth. My suggestion would be to overinflate the worn tire,and let a little air out of the good tire to try and strike a balance between the two different heights(this is assuming that they are both the "same" size/type of tire). Try and get the measurement from the ground to the lower lip of the rim as close as possible and that should get you by for a little while. Just hurry up and get your tires,as this situation could cause some funny steering and handling characteristics,to say the least :D
The other suggestion would be to swap it over to the rear,but you didn't mention if you were locked in the rear.

Mike,

They are all the same brand/size tires. I normally include the spare in my rotation schedule, but I had a tire replaced by road hazard warranty a while back. That threw everything off because the old tires were already too worn to run with the new tire. The flat tire is unrepairable with sidewall damage and I am locked in the rear as well. I already have a difference in tire pressure. I think that for low speeds the tire pressure trick works. At higher speeds, centrifugal forces casues the tire to bulge and negate the influence of the lower pressure.

I'll get new tires as soon as I can. Due to the holidays, funds are low at this time.

RR3

I wouldn't worry too much about the locker - effect will be negligible unless you plan to drive it like this for an extended period of time or possibly for long distances. Look at it this way - the result is a difference in wheel speed, much like when you're making a turn. You don't go out of your way to avoid making turns, do you?

I also wouldn't worry about putting it in 4wd if you have a need to - only effect will be that it will pull toward the side with the worn tire. If you're traveling in conditions that warrant 4wd (low speed), then it's not going to have any lasting effects (unless, of course, you drive off the side of the road :roll: ).

Having decent tread on your tires - now that's something to be concerned about...

Back