• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guys with 33s...

kelly klassen said:
What size wheel are you running, 15x8 or 15x10? What backspacing? This would be with 33x12.50s. Thanks.

Running 8.5" wheels on 4" of backspacing.
Some like a bit more back space I think 4"s where one should be.

Bones :skull1:

15 x 8.5 4.7 inches bs. I think it works great, stuffs nice. Shoot for around 4.5 and I think you'll be happy, 4" for a little wider stance!

33x10.50 on 15x8s with 4.5 BS. The 4.5 BS puts the tire right where I want it with 4.5 inch lift and trimmed sheetmetal.

33x12.5 TSL on 15x8" wheels with 3.75" backspacing. The tires just stick out a bit from the fender flares which ends up protecting the sides of my truck in many circumstances. Stuffage is good with some trimming on a 5.5" lift

33x13.5 LTBs....15x8 on 4" of BS

Perfect with the BW's

2.JPG

So no one is using 10"!? Every book at each shop I've gone to has said 15x10 for 33s. I'm not scared of runnig slightly undersized wheels, I think I'd prefer to. The problem I've found with 10" is the backspacing. 4" seems to be the norm. I've even seen some at 3.63". That's a lot of unsprung weight hanging out there. Somehow, I don't think our little unit bearings would be up to it. I've got around 5" right now, and TJ flares ready to go on. I don't think I'll have a problem with clearance, so I would like to keep them in as much as possible. Thanks for all the help.

I like the narrower wheel to help keep a bead at lower tire pressure. Don't know if it's really a valid concern, but it doesn't hurt.

33x12.5's are rated for 8.5" and above wheel width.

Bones :skull1:

Have you tried a search here? I know the topic of 8" vs. 10" wide rims has been discussed many times over. Seems to me the consensus is that the narrower rim is less likely to pop a bead at low pressure and less likely to suffer rock rash, though perhaps at the peril of your sidewall. Some feel that the wider rim gives a flatter footprint.

kelly klassen said:
So no one is using 10"!? Every book at each shop I've gone to has said 15x10 for 33s. I'm not scared of runnig slightly undersized wheels, I think I'd prefer to. The problem I've found with 10" is the backspacing. 4" seems to be the norm. I've even seen some at 3.63". That's a lot of unsprung weight hanging out there. Somehow, I don't think our little unit bearings would be up to it. I've got around 5" right now, and TJ flares ready to go on. I don't think I'll have a problem with clearance, so I would like to keep them in as much as possible. Thanks for all the help.

If the guys at the shop have to refer to a book to know this........solid proof of lack of experience. I've seen guys successfully run 35x12.50's on a 15x7 stock Jeep wheel, so there is plenty of room for deviation to the "manufacturer's optimum recommendation". What works on a full size truck may not on an XJ, which sports smaller wheelwells.

Good recommendations here, take the advice of those that have the tire/wheel combo in place and use it daily. 8" wheels are great for 33x12.50's, keep the BS between 4.5" and 4" and you'll do just fine......on a rig with 6" of lift or more. Trim as needed.
BTW, don't rule out the 285/75/16.....33" tall, 11.50" wide and a D load rating.

wetmuskrat said:
33x10.50, 15x8 rims, 4in. backspacing
widowmaker.JPG

Who is the tiny person on your roof? ;)

33x12.50 on 15x10 steel w/ 4" BS, 6" lift & trimmed skins.

Going to 35's soon and will likely switch to 8-8.5" aluminum wheels.

TOZOVR said:
33x13.5 LTBs....15x8 on 4" of BS

Perfect with the BW's

2.JPG

Nice LTB's Tozovr! :cheers:

1887P1010446.JPG

How come u didn't go with the 34's?

I have 33x12.50 Cooper STT's on 15x7 Stock rims. The 5 spoke ones. Rubs on compresion in the rear inner wells, and the front coils on compresion. Other than that it works fine. I will be going to an AR-23? when I can get it to the tire shop. I think the 23 is 15x8 but with 4.5" BS I think.

Back