• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changin axle shaft on a 29spline 8.25 with detroit

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
opened up my diff, kinda stumped on how to reach the C-Clips, looks like there is a small cover plate I got to pop off in order to reach the C-clips, anybody got suggestions or info on this? Pics would be amazing as well, thanks much, Kerry

You have to pull the spider gear center pin,then push in on th axle and remove the clip!

Sorry!!!!missed the Detroit part

RCP Phx said:
You have to pull the spider gear center pin,then push in on th axle and remove the clip!
I know that but there is some type of cover that covers that all up. I was wandering if there is any type of special trick to get it off, I dont wanna just go pounding on it!

should be allen bolts on the right side take the one that lines up with the "chunk" you are talking about. then you should be able to push the cross shaft out and drop the c-clips. I haven't looked at an 8.25 one but the others I've seen where like this.

Why are you pulling the shafts?

cherokeekid said:
should be allen bolts on the right side take the one that lines up with the "chunk" you are talking about. then you should be able to push the cross shaft out and drop the c-clips. I haven't looked at an 8.25 one but the others I've seen where like this.

Why are you pulling the shafts?
Bent my left shaft, anybody else

Threre is a pin (about 1" x3") that the shafts butt up to. Remove the bolt that is holding the pin in(8mm?) and the pin will slide out. You can then push the shaft in a little further and this will allow you to remove the c-clip. Carefull not to rotate the carrier as the pin holding the slider gears in is out.Hope that helps. Jerry
OOPS!! missed the Detroit :doh:

Last edited:
JerryV said:
Threre is a pin (about 1" x3") that the shafts butt up to. Remove the bolt that is holding the pin in(8mm?) and the pin will slide out. You can then push the shaft in a little further and this will allow you to remove the c-clip. Carefull not to rotate the carrier as the pin holding the slider gears in is out.Hope that helps. Jerry
OOPS!! missed the Detroit :doh:
Yeh I have removed a shaft before when I installed a new backing plate, but this is my first time with a detroit! Cherokeekid.. you were right on the money loosened the alen bolt and I was home free! Thanks for the input guys :cheers:

Back