• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to tighten serpentine belt

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
My idler pulley self destructed, so I got a replacement and put it on.

Now I have to put the serpetine belt back on the power steering pulley.

How do I do this.

Is there a website with pictures. I have both Haynes and Chiltons but its not really clear how to move the pulley so I can get the belt back on it and then
tension the belt..

the key is the area around the power steering pump....

that is the adjustment....

it sounds like you have a chilton or haynes?

check out the section that pertains to replacement or removal of the ps pump....

you'll find the long threaded adjustment screw there.

if you study that particular set up for a few minutes, I'm sure you will see what is going on.

Like Beez said, study the PS pump area.

Its actually the bolt on the bottom of the bracket holding up the PS pump. The bolt points toward the pass. side of the vehicle. It's kind of a tight fit to get to, so you may have to come up from underneath.

-Adam

After I sent this out I came to the same conclusion. My manuals cover so many years, and engine types that they are a little confusing.

I gather I have to loosen the bolts holding the power steering pulley in place then adust the adjusting screw to actually move the pulley along the groove enough to be able o put on the belt and then tighten it.

I had loosened what I think were the correct bolts, but wasn't aware of the adjusting screw until I looked at the diagrams again.

The text kept referring to other ways of moving the pulley -- apparantly applicable to other types of belts.

lapaul said:
Problem solved thanks for your help.

I had to guess at how tight to make the belt. Any better way without tools?

Best way I know without tools is to grasp the long span of belt at the top, and try to twist it. It should be stiff enough that you can just barely twist it 90 degrees.

Back