• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thieves broke into my Jeep!!! :(

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
Freaking thieves!

They busted my driver's side rear passenger window, the stationary glass. Dang! Stole a bunch of stuff, DVD home player, bookbag, mountain biking gloves and my medication! They even stole my TB spacer which I was planning to install this weekend! F*ckers! I think they watched me work on my Jeep, because I was installin my hitch from 5PM till 11AM. Went to bed at 12AM, and got up 4AM to go to work. D@mn! Shattered glass everywhere. Got shafted by the insurance company, the loss was not enuff to file a claim they said. They did however said they will take care of the glass!

Well, the glassman came to the house and replace the glass in ten minutes. He told me the part that was so expensive is that the divider that separates the main glass that rolss up and down is bonded to the glass permanetly, and the list price was listed new at $919.00! The insurance paid the actual cost $425.00, including labor. The next big expensive thing according to him was the rear hatch glass... he said it is around $1,500! :wow:

Anybody has a good suggestion on getting an alarm? I need one soon.

Sorry to hear about that. I am always worried about that crap happening to me. It has happened 2 times in the past. Fvck alarms. Nobody gives a sh*t if a car alarm is going off, at least not in densley populated areas. I lived in Washington, DC for 3 years, and nobody would look to see what was going on. If you really want one, I think Clifford is supposed to be good. I would go with a LED on the dash, a Club, and hide your sh*t. These bastards should be shot. :hang:

I've had the same thing happen (minus the big ticket items being stolen). The fixed "cigarette window" busted out. I found a small body shop who did it for only $30 using a used window. Unless they stole more than you deductable, I wouldn't bother w/ insurance.

Rule of thumb.
1-Don't have stuff lying around inside PERIOD.
2-If you have to leave it, hide it.
3-No alarm will ward off the pros, just the kids. Install a "dummy light" (cost is cheap, looks like the real deal)

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm certainly glad that the insurance covered it, but I have to add that unless they changed the design after 95, the fixed rear door glass is not integral with the channel (the front door wing windows are). I've replaced a couple of these, once when my daughter's Jeep was broken into in Boston, and once when my mower threw a rock. The replacement of these is quite easy compared to the front door wing windows, and all you need to do the job is the piece of glass itself. The rubber molding stays in the door.

Welcome to the club ... I got hit 8 months ago. Damn fool(s) broke the rear fixed passenger side window. I think they must have crapped their pants when my factory alarm went off ... lights flashing ... horn blowing ... ignition disabled ... at 4:00am----probably thought it was a easy hit.

I think it was a punk kid that just moved in down the street ... bought himself a junk XJ ... stares at my Laredo when driving by---Alpine visable ... you just can't have anything nice and let it sit outside .... especially with tools and stuff in the back.

It cost me $189 for the glass and installation ... new PPG glass.

Damn ... I had all original Mopar glass in it ... it was a virgin. Oh well.

I live in a dorm and last year, someone used a crowbar to pry my passenger door open and stole my cd player. After that I had a Hornet car alarm installed and vowed to take my faceplate off everytime I got out of the car. Just about a week ago I left the faceplate on and someone apparently thought they would like to have it. They busted my passenger window out and the alarm immeadiately scared them off. Luckily a bunch of people heard it and got they guy's license plate...only a matter of time before they get him and I will make sure im in the courtroom. Anyway I want to say I paid around $170 for the Hornet alarm and it definitely recieves my approval, saved me from having to buy a new cd player and radar detector.

if ur in the vancouver washington area hie everything. My area of town isnt bad at all and everyone is getting jacked
i have a full system and i need an alarm. my next door neighbor had everythinng jacked out of his honda, over 5 grand worth of stuff. my doors were unlocked. im one lucky mtf. if anyone knows whats goin on let me know.

$1500 for hatch glass??? Wow! I'm glad when mine popped out in my driveway it didn't claymore :D

FWIW one can buy a whole nother XJ with all the glass for a LOT less that $1500.

IMHO Thieves need shot for being theives and for making insurance companies neccesary.

I'd be chummin the waters...the fish may be dumb enough to come back.

Alarms are this side of useless in my opinion. As a comedian once put it what do you do when you hear an alarm going off at 2AM? You yell "Cut the damn wire already I'm trying to sleep." However I've thought about putting an alarm in my XJ with a few "additional items" such as a loudspeaker and an amplifier. I figure about 140dB should not only get EVERYONE's attention but also probably make the f*ck*r deaf. I've also thought about soldiering razor blades to the back of my head unit. Why? 'Cause all theives do is reach behind it and pull. What better way to get fingerprints(ok tips but i think that will cut it hehehe)?

thanks guys for the suggestions! At least the insurance company paid for the glass at 100% including labor, didn't have to file a claim or anything, it doesn't even touch my deductible. The glass replacement is a factory Chrysler part, it looks exactly the same as the old one, I just need to put the "child lock" sticker back on to make it look original again. :)

I know the alarm will not prevent any break-ins in the future, but, I want it to be as hard as possible for them to actually steal and drive my Jeep off, I just need some type of starter kill or something.

oops, my original post should have said working on the hitch from 5pm till 11pm, not 11am. heh

Last edited:
new update for my area, a nissan truck had 2 audiobahn 12's and an amp stolen up the street. At my school a kids civic si stolen last nite completely. This is bs, i gotta get somethin or i may be next

My area of town isnt bad at all and everyone is getting jacked
Doesn't your statement contradict itself? Seems to me, if everyone's gettin' jacked, it just became a "bad" area. :)

What year is your XJ? Mine recently got "re located" so the thieves could steal my stereo in privacy. I have been disconnecting the wire that goes to the big ceramic resistor located on the front of the drivers side inner fender panel. Just ahead of the windsheild washer reseviour. This will allow it to start and run for like two seconds, then when the ECU transfers the coil input to flow through that resistor it dies. This will keep them from running off with it. I aslo park backwards in my space now so if they try to tow it, they will have to get inside and put it in neutral. Just my little experience with the car theives union of Olathe Kansas. The police gave me the big FU too.

Ecarlcl

EljayK004 said:
I've also thought about soldiering razor blades to the back of my head unit. Why? 'Cause all theives do is reach behind it and pull. What better way to get fingerprints(ok tips but i think that will cut it hehehe)?

I like your thinking. I really do. But, take some free legal advice - don't do it. Let me say that again - Don't do it.

The law is clear that as soon as you set up a boobytrap like that, you become the bad guy and the waste-of-plasma thief becomes the victim. Not only will you stand a very good chance of being prosecuted criminally, the scumbag thief will sue you civilly and win. It ain't right, but it's the law.

You're better off catching him in the act and then experiencing an objectively reasonable fear for your life when he turns on you. Then you're covered by self-defense when they wonder why you choked the life from his worthless body.

:heart: :peace: :kissyou: Love your fellow man . . . unless he's a thieving ba$tard :mad: - then do society a favor and kill him! :hang: :twak: :explosion

Ecarlcl said:
What year is your XJ? Mine recently got "re located" so the thieves could steal my stereo in privacy. I have been disconnecting the wire that goes to the big ceramic resistor located on the front of the drivers side inner fender panel. Just ahead of the windsheild washer reseviour. This will allow it to start and run for like two seconds, then when the ECU transfers the coil input to flow through that resistor it dies. This will keep them from running off with it. I aslo park backwards in my space now so if they try to tow it, they will have to get inside and put it in neutral. Just my little experience with the car theives union of Olathe Kansas. The police gave me the big FU too.

Ecarlcl

Hi mine is a 2000 2wheel drive 4.0L Sport, I'm not sure of the wire you mean, can you post a pict or two? You do it before you retire for the night? It kinda sounds pain the butt to lift the hood everytime to disconnect and reconnect everytime you want to drive or park anywhere. Ya cops are no help, insurance companies are worse, they change the rules on the policy and expect you to bend over and take it... HARD! :mad:

I had my jeep broken into it when I first got it before I had anything in it all they did was take the donut spare like I care. What really pissed me off is they broke the window and there wasent a single locked door on the jeep. God theives are retarted. Now I have tons of crap in there and the rear hatch window is broken out and nobody takes anything but I have an alarm with a loud ass siren if it goes off there is going to be alot of pissed of people.

dogtired said:
Hi mine is a 2000 2wheel drive 4.0L Sport, I'm not sure of the wire you mean, can you post a pict or two? You do it before you retire for the night? It kinda sounds pain the butt to lift the hood everytime to disconnect and reconnect everytime you want to drive or park anywhere. Ya cops are no help, insurance companies are worse, they change the rules on the policy and expect you to bend over and take it... HARD! :mad:

Well mines a 90, your ignition system may be really different than mine. I just disconnect the wire when I park it for the night, not when im at school or work or anything, I'm thinking about wiring up a switch for it.

Ethan

Anyone know why they wont allow me to have a sig anymore?

After my last experience trying to file a claim with the insurance company :wierd: (I even had $5000 extra coverage on the contents). I canceled the extra insurance on the contents of the Jeep and insured my dogs, now when the alarm goes off, I let the dogs loose :paperwork Figure if I´m gonna have to deal with the paper work anyway, might as well be worth the trouble and hopefully have a little entertainment value (dogs have fun).
The favorite car thieves trick around here, is to use a long pointed pry bar, to put a hole in the battery, then return and strip/steal the car later. I installed a 12 volt recharegable battery pack, under the back seat, that runs the alarm. The battery pack also works with a large spot I carry around with me and will run my video cam.
Guy pulled up next to the wifes XJ, with a car crane at 2 in the morning. Noticed me standing there with a shotgun, decided not to try for the Jeep. Next day I found a puddle of battery acid in the street. Cops are mostly usless, insurance companies usually only pay a fraction of your loss.

8Mud said:
Guy pulled up next to the wifes XJ, with a car crane at 2 in the morning. Noticed me standing there with a shotgun, decided not to try for the Jeep. Next day I found a puddle of battery acid in the street. Cops are mostly usless, insurance companies usually only pay a fraction of your loss.

I had to camp out one night last fall when a neighbor called up to warn me that his alram just went off and died immediately, went out and his XJ was gone. I grabbed my old 12 gauge trench gun (real WWI issue) and stood behind mine for three hours. Right as I was about to leave a tow truck comes by really slow and shines a light on my baby. I walk into the light with the trench gun and I didn't know how fast towtrucks could move before then. Never had a problem with anybody taking my Jeep or even breaking into it.

I read the fine print in my insurance coverage. Found out the alarm system isn´t covered for theft. But for a little extra, they will cover it with a supplimental policy. Unbelieveable.
Thieves hit around here, about every year or two. Mostly proffesionals, sometimes young opprotunists. Over the years, they´ve tried for our SJ twice, the XJ´s 3 times. On numerous other occasions, I´ve found pry marks from the novices. Turned the dogs loose, on two young ones, holding a blanket up to the side window, just before they swung the hammer. I love the sound of barking dogs and howling youngsters.
The only thing that really works, is a nieghborhood watch. Many old people don´t sleep nights, a telephone system and a little organization with the younger and fitter members of the nieghborhood, has worked for us in the past. Reaction time for the police is rarley under an hour.
I´ve got both of my XJ´s parked under, IR detectors, that ring a bell. Cats drive me crazy, but the XJ´s are still there. Around here, XJ´s are one of the most stolen vehicles. Before the insurance company would insure the wifes XJ for theft, they required a Sentry system alarm and a garage. My XJ is a little old to worry about, insurance wise.

Back